Moving between lessons (Guitar fundamentals)

Violanted
Violanted
10/11/2021 6:37 pm

Hi guys,

How are you you doing?

I am on the guitar fundamentals, I am to the point were Lisa teaches melody, and precisily were she teaches G major scale, this is the lesson right after the Ode to Joy in the first 2 strings.

My question to yo guys is, so far everything i learnts i was able to , " kind of play it" what I mean is that i could switch between simple chords, or play the melody but not always I can get a perfect clean tone there are mistakes on tone quality is still the main problem and of course it's been only 2 months. I am Piano player since 13 + years playing rck Organ and keyboard so I have music knowledage

the question is can I move forward to lessons even if yet I don't have that smooth transactions between notes, or tone quality and so on so forther or i need to stick on the lessons until I geet the perfect quality tone?

If I do that it may take a considerably a long amount of time to go ahead.

My idea is to learn how to play blues guitar.

Thanks

Dave Mojo

davide.violante@rockers.rocks

www.rockers.rocks

[u]Netheralnds[/u]

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
10/11/2021 7:05 pm

One of the worst things that can happen to anyone learning to play guitar is that they spend too long on one thing, then start to lose interest, then quit altogether.

By all means go on to the next lesson and learn something new (or a new variation on something). You can always go back to earlier lessons and practice that until you get it up to speed.

I sometimes go back to earlier lessons just to remind myself of some of the details I might have forgotten or simply for the enjoyment of playing the practice piece at full tempo.

Little tip: always try to end "learning time" playing something you play well. It leaves you in a positive state of mind, and sometimes reinforces just how far you've come since first picking up a guitar with the intention of learning how to play it.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2
Violanted
Violanted
10/11/2021 8:39 pm
Originally Posted by: DraconusJLM

One of the worst things that can happen to anyone learning to play guitar is that they spend too long on one thing, then start to lose interest, then quit altogether.

By all means go on to the next lesson and learn something new (or a new variation on something). You can always go back to earlier lessons and practice that until you get it up to speed.

I sometimes go back to earlier lessons just to remind myself of some of the details I might have forgotten or simply for the enjoyment of playing the practice piece at full tempo.

Little tip: always try to end "learning time" playing something you play well. It leaves you in a positive state of mind, and sometimes reinforces just how far you've come since first picking up a guitar with the intention of learning how to play it.

There is no way i get bored, neither i have intentions to give up, but that is because already know how long it took to learn piano an keybords and be able to play live. Thanks I was just wondering what would be the best way to move on and i perfectly agree on what you said.

Dave Mojo

davide.violante@rockers.rocks

www.rockers.rocks

[u]Netheralnds[/u]

# 3
Sore.fingers
Sore.fingers
10/12/2021 4:11 pm
Originally Posted by: Violanted

Hi guys,

How are you you doing?

I am on the guitar fundamentals, I am to the point were Lisa teaches melody, and precisily were she teaches G major scale, this is the lesson right after the Ode to Joy in the first 2 strings.

My question to yo guys is, so far everything i learnts i was able to , " kind of play it" what I mean is that i could switch between simple chords, or play the melody but not always I can get a perfect clean tone there are mistakes on tone quality is still the main problem and of course it's been only 2 months. I am Piano player since 13 + years playing rck Organ and keyboard so I have music knowledage

the question is can I move forward to lessons even if yet I don't have that smooth transactions between notes, or tone quality and so on so forther or i need to stick on the lessons until I geet the perfect quality tone?

If I do that it may take a considerably a long amount of time to go ahead.

My idea is to learn how to play blues guitar.

Thanks

I agree with DraconusJLM to progress regularly. I noticed that playing guitar is a bit like dancing. First you practice on a basic move; difficult at first, but as you progress you'll feel that the basics get easier, together with more advanced moves, because the skill for the basic move is also needed in the more advanced stuff. Go back to a lesson that you didn't practiced for a while, you'll notice that you've progressed quite a bit... at least in my experience.

On the other hand, I agree with you that even the basics don't get boring (at least not for me). In my practice routine, I always start with spider legs and the G major scale to warm up. Then I practice on something new for about 15 minutes, finish my session with a song and again some spider legs and G major scale. Another useful tool is a metronome. I don't use it all the time, but at least once every two sessions. It allows you to keep track of your speed and feel for rythm. When I'm not using the metronome, I focus more on clean tones.

(I'm nearly finished with GF1, hope to get through GF2 as easily to finally start with an ambition that's quite similar to yours: the blues )

Good luck to you.

PS: Are you Dutch? I'm a Flemish Belgian.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.