View post (frequency of changing strings)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
10/08/2021 4:45 pm
Originally Posted by: Cara C

Hi all,

Realistically how often do people who are just playing guitar as a hobby change their strings on their acoustic and electric guitars? Changing them monthly would seem a bit excessive?

thanks

Cara C

Also referencing Maestro regarding the 'becoming dull'. It also depends on how much finger grease you leave behind on those strings. It sounds icky but we leave grease behind. We all do. However, we do in varying degrees. So you have to know a little bit of that about yourself too.

The way to combat that and prolong string life is to give the neck and strings a modest wipedown after playing. Doesn't have to be an intricate detailing like a car. Just take a soft rag or get some from a guitar store and give the strings a light wipedown.

I have nearly no finger grease and my strings last a good long time. Truth be known, the strings on my Tele are about two years old. Keep in mind though, I have seven guitars I switch between so it's not like I'm beating on one guitar specifically. Granted, I'm only practicing stuff so it's not like each gets a nightly beating. Two years is too long but they still ring nicely and no reason to change at this point...but that's the exception.

Don't worry too much about the interval. Like Maestro said, the strings will tell you. If you have one guitar and are practicing often with that guitar, you'll find that it's about every 3(ish) months. Save for string breakage etc.