View post (Finding happiness)

View thread

Sore.fingers
Sore.fingers
10/04/2021 8:32 pm

I hadn't thought of playing guitar in very long time and I've always tried to convince myself that I'd never be able to make music. My favorite excuse was: "I'm too old." Already in my fourties, I thought that I'd never be able to go fast enough to keep ahead of boredom... until three months ago.

My wife and I rented a little cottage to spend our holidays. Our goal was to spend some time in nature, enjoy walks with our dog, good food and to read a few books. We actually did all of that, but we also had a beautiful piano, a lot of sheet music, albums of Neil Young, Joan Baez, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Tom Waits, etc at our disposal. We played some albums, but we couldn't enjoy the piano and sheet music and that got me thinking again. Am I really too old? Should you really start at an early age to play an instrument?

Finally, during our holidays, I took a decision to give it a try. I decided to buy an electric guitar as soon as I got back, find a teacher or a good alternative (like Guitartricks ) and find out how it goes.

It's been almost three months now and I've never felt this happy with anything else before. I've almost finished GF1; I'm looking forward to start GF2 and I'm really eager to start learning blues after that.

Music has always been a great source of enjoyment, but being able to make music is like finding the holy grail. I've found happiness.

So that's the story of how I got myself into this journey... I'm really curious to read about your story.