View post (Pedals)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
10/08/2021 12:01 am
Originally Posted by: darickmendes

I have Spider V20 MXII

That's a small digital modelling practice amp. Assuming you're a neophyte when it comes to playing guitar, you won't [u]need[/u] pedals. You should be able to achieve most effects & tones you need for quite some time from the options within that amp which has 16 selectable voicing presets. Pretty sure it will have will be a solid selection of clean & distortion voicings from Crunch through Supercrunch and ODs.

Christopher has already explained pedals are a hangover from the tube/valve amp past when amps weren't capable of anything much else than clean in accord with their design and valve type tone other than some distortion through gain. Pedals were applied to achieve effects. In modern contemporary and very affordable digital modelling practice amps like yours and e.g. Blackstar's ID:Core series and Boss' Katana series, they have lots of selectable effects and pre-configured voicings built in.

You'll best benefit yourself learning to [u]understand and use[/u] the capabilities within your amp first.

However I understand your curiosity about pedals. If you want to try some out, these are what I'd recommend starting with which will be useful. Looper, Tuner, and if your amp doesn't have the feature, a Chorus pedal. Others prioritise depending upon upon what effect it is you want to achieve.

Here's a beginners' guide.