View post (Tremolo picking)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/16/2021 4:25 pm
Originally Posted by: frankkcollinsI've been working on this technique for the last few days, and I can't seem to get it down.[/quote]

There are 2 important aspects of fast alternate picking (tremolo with a pick).

1. Minimal motion. You have to tighten your picking pattern. You are aiming to barely graze over the string without going too deep into the plane of the strings. Then you want to stop as soon as you strike the string & reverse course.

There is also the issue of rising above the plane of the strings if you want to move to a different string. But that is slightly more advanced than straight tremolo picking on one string.

2. Stay relaxed! You have to stay completely loose from your shoulder, to arm, elbow, wrist & fingers (especially pick grip). More tension just makes it harder to pick faster & more efficiently. And it makes it impossible to have any endurance.

I encourage students to get their alternate motion from the wrist. But some people are more comfortable with playing from the elbow or their fingers. But I don't think that's as easy or efficient for most players.

[quote=frankkcollins]Are there any other lessons on the website I'm missing?

I have a series of tutorials on speedy playing, but it's older content (10 years old or more!). I am currently in the process of updating them! I have the first one recorded & it should be edited & ready to publish in the next couple of weeks. I can update this thread when it's done!

For now, this is the older version of that first tutorial in the series that focuses on alternate picking on one string to get the technique down. Because this is an older tutorial it's very brief. The new one I've done to replace this one is much more in depth & covers the ideas I listed above in a lot more detail.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=287

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory