View post (Newbie from rural France)

View thread

Sore.fingers
Sore.fingers
09/17/2021 9:15 am
Originally Posted by: jrosenberg1978

Hi all, novice guitarist been playing on and off and uncertain which "budget" guitars are good value for money for all round versatility. From some research I think I have narrowed down to a few options but just need some advice from someone with a bit more knowledge. Any help is appreciated.

Options:

Schecter omen extreme 6 diamond series [br]Ibanez TM302 [br]Ibanez RC320 [br]Ibanez ART120QA [br]Ibanez ART120 [br]Squier Affinity Telecaster® Electric Guitar [br]Epiphone Les Paul Studio Electric Guitar[br]Epiphone Les Paul Studio LT

Any other recommendations welcome

thanks[br]Jarred

Hi Jarred, I'm a beginner myself and I play on 3 guitars now. An old accoustic Washburn J12SN (I bought this in my 20's, when I had a musical itch for the first time, but gave up because my teacher was kinda boring), a Squier Stratocaster (from a starter pack) I assume it is similar to the bullet (I listened to my wife who told me that for beginning, I don't need something expensive... so I bought the cheapest pack in the store) and I recently bought the Squier classic vibe 50's telecaster. They're all great, but comparing the two Squiers, the tele is absolutely my favorite. It sounds amazing, I'm not particularly into the twangy bridge pickup sound, but toned down a little bit, it produces great tones as well.

The choice of a guitar is something that you'll have to decide for yourself. Go to your local shop and ask to try out a few guitars. If you don't play yet (as I was), I chose a guitar that resembles the guitar of my personal guitar heroes (Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Hendrix,... hence my choice for a strat and not another cheap guitar pack). I had to buy the tele as well, because I am a huge fan of Keith Richards. (It even has the same color as Keith's guitar )

Choose a guitar that's inspiring to you. If you'd like to play metal, I wouldn't go for a tele or if you're into blues, don't buy a shred machine...

Happy hunting,

Jan a.k.a. Sore Fingers