View post (Adjusting from concert to dread)

View thread

Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
08/14/2021 8:56 am

I recently acquired a used Yamaha f335 dreadnought guitar so I've been switching back and forth between my Ibanez concert style guitar. I really love both guitars for different reasons but I just can't get over how good the dreadnought sounds! (It will also be something to play outdoors, too since its less-nice than my Ibanez.) While it's most comfortable to play it standing, there are times when I sit and play it, too. But my main adjustment concern is getting used to the string width difference. My Ibanez seems so spacious and much more suited to fingerpicking so I will primarily use the dread for strumming but there are times when there's just a small bit of fingerpicking mixed in so I'd like to be able to play that without too much trouble....

What is the best way to get used to the different styles? (...besides just play, which I'm doing anyway....) Are there certain string awareness exercises I can do that would properly orient me to the strings on the dread better? Thanks for any help...here, you can see "Gypsy" from a recent practice video (also known as 'my Johnny Cash guitar').

I'm really happy to get back into playing guitar and I've resumed my lessons on here and have landed in Acoustic 1 and lots of Acoustic 2 already.

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor