View post (The juggling act)

View thread

mjgodin
mjgodin
07/11/2021 4:49 pm

So I'm not sure if this is a problem, or more of a discovery. I love all kinds of music and find myself learning bits and pieces of songs from various genres.

Most of the songs are from here, but some are from other sources or even something I accidentally stumbled onto like this morning. I was just practicing some barre chords and all of a sudden I discovered what sounded like the opening riff to "My Favorite Mistake" by Sheryl Crow. That slide up to Bm7 in 7th fret. I wasn't even trying to learn it, but it sounded so familiar I then spend some time on another site, because the song is not taught here, trying to learn it.

I'm also working on other songs in fingerpicking style, as well as chord strumming exercises, arpeggios, triads, scales, some basic licks as well as the actual lessons I learned in past style courses. I was gonna start Acoustic 2 this morning.

It's getting tough balancing all this in to my already limited practice time. Is this a good way to learn or am I being counterproductive from spreading myself out too thin like this.

It seems like the more I learn the more I pick up on melodies from songs on the radio or youtube and say to myself "hey that sounds like something I'd like to play and it doesn't seem too hard." Then I'm off trying to learn how to play it and forego what I was originally working on. Then when I do go back to that I'm rusty cause I haven't worked on it for a while.

Anybody else experience this? Is this common? It's nice to have a lot of "tools" in your arsenal, but at what point do you say enough for now and get back to structured learning. Or maybe it's not a problem at all and just part of the process. I mean, I now can play the opening chord riff to " My Favorite Mistake". So it can't be all that bad right?

Moe