Song tutorials missing?

mkmjwilliams
Full Access
mkmjwilliams
Full Access
07/07/2021 1:41 pm

Hey team,

just wanted ask what happened to the song "If" by Bread tutorial Caren did? I really enjoyed the finger style technique she taught. I learned the song about 2 years ago and went back yesterday to refresh myself on it and couldnt find it.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
07/07/2021 8:15 pm

Thanks for writing in! Unfortunately, we are unable to renew the license for a selection of our song lessons and they were unpublished on March 31st.

This is not the outcome we hoped for and we tried everything we could to keep these lessons on the site. Despite our efforts, we weren't able to renew our license and we need to unpublish the songs.

I want to be clear that this does not happen regularly. In fact, it is so rare that we announced this in the Guitar Tricks Forum, back in February.

So why is this happening?

Guitar Tricks has been at the forefront of teaching guitar online since 1998. When we decided to teach songs, we were the first to legally secure licenses with publishers for the right to teach their songs online. We have always honored the rights holders. Licenses are given for a period of time and in this case, we were not able to extend the license for this set of songs.

I want to assure you that we work tirelessly to keep the songs we have and despite this loss, we are dedicated to releasing new song lessons every week this year. Stay tuned for new song lessons each week by visiting the homepage under “Newest Lessons”.

Best regards,[br]Mitch[br]GT Admin

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
mkmjwilliams
Full Access
mkmjwilliams
Full Access
07/18/2021 4:34 pm

Would it be worthwhile for us to apeal to some of these artists? or their publishers?

# 3
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
07/19/2021 1:45 am
Originally Posted by: mkmjwilliams

Would it be worthwhile for us to apeal to some of these artists? or their publishers?

I don't know the specifics of any particular song but it is pointless to appeal to the artist because very few of them own the rights to their songs. Some in particular; Pete Townsend and Dylan have outright sold their rights to a big publishing companies for 10's (100's?) of millions. Finally, if there was a good case to be made or whine that would work I imagine GT has tried it.

P.S. Publishers are monsters. They only feed off of your tears.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.