Starting to lack learning structure

W.A.S.P.
W.A.S.P.
08/14/2021 3:59 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel
Originally Posted by: W.A.S.P.

Exactly, I think the structure seems to be all over the place, it wouldn't be bad playing "Sunday School" songs if it was clear what the end game was, but try as I may I just can't stay awake learning with this type of music.

I do realize you need the fundamentals, but surely there are more up to date methods.

What type of music are you referring to that you aren't enjoying?

Exactly what type of material are you looking for & not finding?

I don't wish to cause any offence to anyone, in what I say in earlier posts or indeed below, its really just my own observations, based on the way I learn best.

I want to be proficient at this see below,

Improvisation over many different scales, so I can jam to any backing track.

My chosen styles are:

Dire Straits Knopfler styles

U2 Edge 1/16 dotted 8 Streets, Magnificent, Pride and standard Vertigo

Guns n Roses (Slash)

Rolling Stones Keith style.

Blues Michael Burks style

I am ok with all open chords, and many power chords

Learning Sultans of Swing and Welcome to the Jungle at present, doing OK with the string skipping intro etc on Jungle..and finger style on Sultans. U2 I figured would be a great way to learn strumming, amongst other things like mastering dotted 8

But if someone said what chords are you playing i would struggle to name all of them even though I can finger them!

So I need to know what chords I am playing and what scales, instead of just watching YouTube videos, and reading tabs, I realize I need to understand more about what I am playing, and realise a need to learn the caged system too

I want to be able to pick up my guitar and improvise to any tune in the background, and have a chance to be creative too.

I see guys on YouTube who demo guitars, why are they able to just start playing any old impro, licks etc.. that sounds cool? I want to be that guy!

Hope this summarises where I want to go.

I just need tunes I can play whilst learning all of above without yawning I guess.

******SINCE POSTING THIS*******

I have looked at the other modules up from fundamentals, to be honest until just now I have refrained from this to avoid "jumping the gun" but nevertheless, needs must, and I have discovered Core Learning level 1 in the advanced section and the Rock section by Anders.

Now do you think this is maybe where I need to be instead of guitar fundamentals seen as I know open chords, strumming, maintenance etc..

Looks like I will learn barre chords, power chords, scales in a pool I want to swim in :-)

What do you think please?

I really want this to work, Thanks also Chris for the links earlier in this thread I am working through that.

I want to put my Line 6 Helix, Fender Strat,Tele and Gibson LP to good use and NOT all the gear and no idea :-)

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/15/2021 2:39 pm

I started reading your post & my first thought was to suggest you just move ahead to the rock style course. Then, I got to this part!

Originally Posted by: W.A.S.P.I have looked at the other modules up from fundamentals, to be honest until just now I have refrained from this to avoid "jumping the gun" but nevertheless, needs must, and I have discovered Core Learning level 1 in the advanced section and the Rock section by Anders.[/quote]

Yes! If you already know all the material in GF 1 & 2, then start in rock 1! Especially since it seems to more closely match your musical goals.

[br]Addressing specifics.

Improvisation over many different scales, so I can jam to any backing track.[/quote][p]Anders's rock course will get you started. My collection will show you how it works.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/learning-to-improvise

Rolling Stones Keith style.

[p]Of your list, unfortunately, publishers have only offered GT the Stones. But there are plenty of Stones songs to work through. If you are inpsired by that, then learn their tunes!

[quote=W.A.S.P.]

But if someone said what chords are you playing i would struggle to name all of them even though I can finger them!

[p]If you haven't yet, then learn all the notes on the fretboard now. Then you'll know how to locate root notes of chords.

Next, I have an entire series of tutorials on triads & inversions that will show you all major & minor chords are formed all over the fretboard.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/triads-and-inversions

It's a lot of work but it's very fundamental to playing any major or minor chord voicing all over the guitar.

[quote=W.A.S.P.]

So I need to know what chords I am playing and what scales, instead of just watching YouTube videos, and reading tabs, I realize I need to understand more about what I am playing, and realise a need to learn the caged system too

[p]I have a ton of tutorials on various scales & how to practice them that will keep you busy for years.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=155014

I have 2 separate in depth tutorials on CAGED, one aimed at rhythm guitar, the other at lead guitar.

Bottom line, branch out! Look around the site. Look at other instructor directories. There is so much incredible content on GT. Please ask if you have more questions. Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
W.A.S.P.
W.A.S.P.
08/15/2021 4:40 pm

Many Thanks Christopher for taking the time to read my lengthy post.

Since your reply, I edited the original opening paragraph of my last post, as it appeared to me somewhat hurtful towards others, which I apologise for.

I take on board what you have said and will follow your much respected advice.

I guess I was trying to follow a structure, but this is difficult due to my heavily fragmented skill level so far.

So branching out as you say I think is great advice.

I have spent the entire afternoon today going over fundamentals 2 to make sure I have all gaps covered.

Looking forward now to getting into a firm learning structure, now I have better understanding of the road ahead.

Thanks again :-)

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/16/2021 10:43 am

You're welcome!

I have spent the entire afternoon today going over fundamentals 2 to make sure I have all gaps covered.

Looking forward now to getting into a firm learning structure, now I have better understanding of the road ahead.

[p]Good plan. Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
W.A.S.P.
W.A.S.P.
08/16/2021 1:22 pm

Thanks Christopher

# 5
afpierson
afpierson
03/31/2022 6:08 pm

Start by learning the notes on the fretboard, then dabble in music theory. It's actually not that hard and you will amaze yourself at how smart you become. Lisa and Anders go over this in their fundamentals courses. Check them out. Watch the videos on power chords, barre chords, the "Magic L", etc. Good luck.

# 6
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/31/2022 6:38 pm

I just yesterday finished Christopher Schlegel's Guitar Fundamentals 2 (discontinued) and can say with confidence that it is a great way to learn music theory basics pertaining to chords, triads, and scales. Also a good starting point for learning scale forms, reading music and playing barre chords.

Like it's creator, the course is very methodical, consice, logical and thorough. In comparison the currently available GF 1 & 2 with Lisa and Anders (each of which I've completed twice) seem decidedly scattered and ridden with holes. Don't get me wrong, I think that they are excellent courses in their own rights, but you'll almost certainly get more out of them if you first do Chris's GF 2. It is an effective means of both jump starting new beginners and as a gap filler for more advanced players.

After finishing GF2 with Chris, I did another of his stellar tutorials: "CAGED for Rhythm Guitar" which is unflinchingly dedicated to getting people to play over the entire fretboard and wraps up by demonstrating how to play both full chords and simple triads from nut to bridge. I think it's a worthy investment of time and effort for all but the most advanced guitar players.

Kudos Chris!

Nicolai

# 7
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
04/01/2022 1:16 am

Sultans of swing by Dire Straits is my pet project at the moment too

Hey there W.A.S.P., I know that you posted this almost 9 months ago but I just have to ask - Where did you find musical learning material for Sultans of Swing, or any other Dire Straits song for that matter?

BTW, I think you might get a kick out of A Heavy Metal Cover of Dire Strait's 'Sultans of Swing'. It always puts a smile on my face. Very silly but all in all not a bad cover.

Nicolai

# 8
maramba.federico24
maramba.federico24
04/01/2022 1:59 pm

I hope this could help you

Learn the following

1.) Guitar chords

2.) Function of the chords ( Tension-Suspention-Resolution)

3.) Major scale

4.) Pentatonic & Blues scale 5 position

5.) Arpeggios ( Major & Minor )

6.) Chord inverson

Remember to target and land the notes to a chord tone and add a melody.

Then enjoy guitar solo improvisation.

# 9
emmamom0
emmamom0
04/03/2022 2:59 pm

Well summed up

# 10
jaffrey.holeme
jaffrey.holeme
05/11/2022 3:33 am

Agree, it should be helpful

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.