One Year Guitarversary

Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
06/28/2021 8:18 pm

It has been one year since I received my acoustic guitar. It has been a wonderful year of music making, even with my hand surgery this spring. It has also served as a "gateway instrument". I picked up the ukulele in November and the piano this spring. I am adding my fourth instrument this week, a Guitarlele. I'm so excited for that as I'm anxious to compose more instrumental music. (I published a book of instrumental music for the picking hand for the ukuele while I was going through my hand surgery.)

I would have never learned so much if it weren't for Guitar Tricks and the lessons with Lisa and others, including the Friday night YouTube Live's with Mike.

Even though it's been three months since my hand surgery and I'm almost 100% again, playing the guitar a little too much still really aggravates it. That's also why I'm anxious for the Gutiarlele. It's the size of a tenor ukulele but has six strings so it has a nice, full sound. I'll be starting out taking a Blues course for it.

I am still wanting to write songs (with lyrics). I am currently working on plans of how in the world I'm going to juggle four instruments. The good thing is that it sort of works itself out. Some days I cant sit at the piano because of joint swelling, so those are good days to elevate my legs on the couch where I can also noodle around with the ukulele because of the small size. And there's always book work and video lessons I can do from the couch as well.

Thanks to everyone who's been so helpful and supportive this last year! I've attached a little collage of my music making adventures.

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 1
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
06/28/2021 9:44 pm

Happy guitarversary and I'm so glad we connected here on GT! (And a public GT congrats on your books!)

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/29/2021 12:48 am

Nice to hear Susan. You have done well!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
W3
Full Access
W3
Full Access
06/29/2021 9:34 am

That's a great reason to celebrate! You're on an awesome and inspirational journey that will last a lifetime. Enjoy the ride!

# 4
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
06/30/2021 2:21 pm

Once again CONGRADULATIONS!!! I expect to hear that you are mastering the entire orchestra's instrumentation soon! So glad you have taken to making music like this! I do have a couple of questions.

Which hand did you have the surgery on? Is it your strumming hand or your freting hand?

Looking at your photos I have to ask... do you always change clothes when you change instruments? Do you have shoes to go with all your differing clothing ensambos?! That volume of gear could really complicate moving all your performance rigs from gig to gig... when you get famous!

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 5
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
07/01/2021 10:28 am

Haha, that made me laugh.... :)

I had surgery on my fretting hand. I still have to listen very carefully and stop playing when it starts to get painful. Piano remains very gentle and great therapy for my fingers though.

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 6
gregmatt1
Full Access
gregmatt1
Full Access
07/01/2021 1:44 pm

Congrats! I can barely get by with practicing just one insturment and you have $4!

# 7
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
07/01/2021 2:38 pm
Originally Posted by: SusanMW

Haha, that made me laugh.... :)

I had surgery on my fretting hand. I still have to listen very carefully and stop playing when it starts to get painful. Piano remains very gentle and great therapy for my fingers though.

So if your freting hand is complaining about playing guitar....I would suggest trying Bottle Neck Guitar. Tune your guitar to an open chord, put the Bottle Neck on ( you need at least one finger behind the bottle neck to mute the strings behind the Bottle Neck) , and start playing guitar with no chord fingering required. You might find that you even enjoy Bottle Neck.

I am sure there are lessons here on GT about playing Bottle Neck Guitar. Look them up and see if that can fit your ravaging appitite for a wider musical plalette. It could be easier on your individual fingers since there is no need to forms chords with your tender, recovering fingers . You could even try holding the guitar on your lap like a dobrough player if that feels better on your recovering fretting hand (much less counter pressuring thumb/ fingers required) . It could easily be another gateway instrument to learn without having to buy another instrument... bottle necks are cheap! Hell, with a litte imagination and practice, you could even become the world's best Slide Uke Player!

# 8
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
07/01/2021 4:54 pm

That is such a good idea, I love it! I know someone who can play slide guitar very well (locally) so I may see if he can teach me a few things. I could see myself getting very creative with that. :D

# 9
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
07/01/2021 10:28 pm

And so, Suzi Landrith is unleashed on the world.

# 10
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
07/01/2021 10:28 pm

And so, Suzi Landrith is unleashed on the world.

# 11
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
07/02/2021 12:39 am

Congrats Susan ! Learning to play one instrument can be challenging, let alone four. I admire your "can do" attitude. Best of luck !

# 12
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
07/02/2021 8:31 am

Well done Susan.

I often see you taking part in Mike's friday sessions.

I too am just over the year but nowhere near the progress you have undoubtedly made.

I am in danger of becoming better technically but not musically.

I'm better and my breakthrough is near.

The better parlour guitar I have on order ( Faith Naked Mercury ) is my reward for hanging in there.

Again, so very well done.

Dave

# 13
W3
Full Access
W3
Full Access
07/02/2021 11:45 am

GT has the best slide lessons! I've been playing slide for about a year and it got so bad that I lost all my calluses because I played so much slide. I'm now getting back to my senses and have my calluses back but sho' do love that slide! The more I play, the more I find it to be an anomaly in the guitar world.

# 14
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
07/03/2021 1:00 am

Thanks everyone! Ohhh, I'm going to check out the slide lessons on here, tonight! :D

# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.