View post (Trouble fretting while standing)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/20/2021 3:11 pm
Originally Posted by: martiniconquesoIt's a hollow body electric. I have tried both lengthening and shortening the strap some.[/quote]

Got it. Bigger guitars are sometimes a little unwieldy & difficult to handle. Another problem is that some hollow body electrics are very light, but top heavy (mine is!). And that has the unfortunate result of the headstock with all that metal naturally gets pulled down. And if it's a Gibson style guitar with the strap button really close to the body it makes that naturally top heaviness even more pronounced.

Originally Posted by: martiniconquesoI think you're right, I seem naturally to want to let my right elbow rest a bit more heavily on the guitar body than I should. Sitting it's no issue, it's only when standing that I lax into the habit.[/quote]

Good to know you've identified possible problem areas to correct.

[quote=martiniconqueso]The video was helpful, thanks. I think I'm also holding it with the neck too parallel to the ground.

Glad the video helped! Yes, the neck needs to be angled up. In fact I find with my classical guitar & jazz hollow body guitar I need to angle the neck even higher than usual in order to play it comfortably.

[quote=martiniconqueso]I'll play around with the posture you describe and see how that works for me. I've also tried to shorten the strap so that I have it at the same length either sitting or standing.

Good plan! Please ask more & let me know how it goes as necessary!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory