Yet another returning player after a long hiatus

rwr01
rwr01
06/10/2021 3:15 am

Hi, I'm Rob.

I'm originally from Scotland, U.K. where I was really into the guitar in my teenage years when I had plenty of time to practice. Then, life got in the way...

Anyway, now much older and living in Tennessee (via Massachusetts, California and a few other places), not yet retired, I'm trying to get back into the guitar again after all these years.

I'm probably intermediate-ish level, but have just joined Guitar Tricks and am starting to go through the Core I and II courses to fill in the gaps (and I've found some already on my first day!).

I started by having a few lessons when I was about 12 years old, but Mel Bay's Modern Method (snore...) was the curriculum, and not of much interest to an aspiring blues/rock guitarist as I was at that time. Don't get me wrong, for learning to read and play music (dots on the staff), it's a classic, but there's a lot more to playing the guitar than will be found within its pages.

Like many of you I'm sure, I have a trunk full of tutorial books, CDs and DVDs, which were started and then given up on to find the next easier/quicker method. I even tried Jam Play for a bit, but there's just too much choice even there. I mean, you have to decide which one of a half dozen or more beginner courses you want to do, and of course you soon get bored with that one and want to start another, easier/quicker one, and so the cycle repeats itself...

That's what's finally brought me to Guitar Tricks. I just want ONE proven method that covers all of the bases in a variety of musical genres, isn't too difficult, too slow or too boring, and that includes actually playing music (an often missing component in some guitar "methods"). One that doesn't have you playing (very) "old favorites" for years on end, playing boring scales over and over again, or confusing the heck out of you with boring and often unnecessary advanced music theory.

It's early days for me here on Guitar Tricks, but I think I've finally found what I've been looking for in guitar tuition.

Other interests include Amateur Radio and Motorcycles.

Glad to be here and hope to learn a lot.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
06/10/2021 7:13 pm

Welcome to the Guitar Tricks Forum! Here you can chat with other students and teachers alike. Enjoy Guitar Tricks!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/14/2021 5:33 pm

Welcome, Rob!

This is definitely THE place to be if you want to fill in some of those gaps - and then take your playing to the next level and beyond.

It can be really powerful stuff, with lots of 'AHA Moments' that will open up you guitar-world in wonderful ways!

Yay - have fun![br]-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.