View post (Applying mPentatonic)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/06/2021 3:34 pm

You're welcome for the reply!

Originally Posted by: SRVFan2000I do like to play correctly, in context of a key- relative to the other chords.[/quote]

Knowing how, why & when to stay in key is the first essential step in learning how to improvise. It will teach you a great deal about how music works.

Originally Posted by: SRVFan2000Maybe my take away is that I can occasionally mix things up and try some new musical detours with the changes, but never lose sight of the main scale.[/quote]

I think a better lesson is to learn how, why & when to play in & out of key. :)

Originally Posted by: SRVFan2000In this case, I would just mostly stick to playing the A minor Penta because it all makes sense and simply works.[/quote]

I'm not sure that it does work. After all here you are asking questions. I sometimes do a similar exercise with students, but use the major pentatonic with major chords. Then minor pentatonic with minor chords. That approach actually does make sense because the chords match the scale; it's all integrated.

Start with this A major styled/shaped barre chord, but visualizing it as scale degrees that form chord tones.

----|------|------|------|------|------|---

----|------|------|--3--|------|------|---

----|------|------|--1--|------|------|---

----|------|------|--5--|------|------|---

----|--1--|------|------|------|------|---

Then visualize the other scale degrees near the chord tones.

----|------|------|--3--|------|------|---

----|------|------|--1--|------|--2---|---

----|------|------|--5--|------|--6--|---

----|--1--|------|--2--|------|--3--|---

Now you can use that information to do a little musical phrase starting with a barre chord, then adding a melodic single line lick after it. You start with the chord, then you play a line in major pentatonic starting on the root, moving through the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, to the root an octave higher, add the 2nd, then come down to end on the root. Example in D major.

|-------------------------------|-------------------------------|

|--7----------------------------|--7---------------------------|

|--7-------------------7-9-7--|--7----7-9-7----------------|

|--7--------------7-9----------|--7------------9-7----------|

|--5-------5/7-9--------------|--5------------------9-7/5--|

|-------------------------------|--------------------------------|

Now you have a nfity little symmetrical lick that's easy to see, play & hear. And best of all it's all integrated musical, the chord & scales are from the same system.

And if you think of the D major as the I chord, then you move the pattern to the G (IV) & A (V) chords as well & stay in key.

G (IV)

|---------------------------------------|

|--12----------------------------------|

|--12--------------------12-14-12--|

|--12-----------12-14---------------|

|--10---10/12-----------------------|

|---------------------------------------|

A (IV)

|-----------------------------|

|--2-------------------------|

|--2----------------2-4-2--|

|--2-----------2-4----------|

|--0---0-2-4---------------|

|-----------------------------|

It all works on each chord isolated & together as a system in key. Now it gets more complex if you want to use the full diatonic scale or do anything more interesting or musical. But it's a good place for beginners to start experimenting with rhythm & lead playing.

I use this approach on my CAGED for lead guitar tutorial.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2619

But I strongly encourage you to also work through my collection of tutorials on improvisation.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/learning-to-improvise

Originally Posted by: SRVFan2000Currently I am also focusing on trying to really learning every note on the fretboard.

Good plan. That is absolutely essential knowledge!

[quote=SRVFan2000]I've only been a member of GT for a week and I've learned a lot. I should make some good progress before my year is up.

Good deal! Glad you are learning from & enjoying the lessons!

[quote=SRVFan2000]and I like theory (mostly!) Having that base really helps put the puzzle together.

Yes, it's helpful to understand what you are doing!

[quote=SRVFan2000]The only one thing I would hope GT can someday change is the near constant captca verification.

Yes, it gets me too. :) It's frustrating but I suppose it helps with spam.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory