View post (Applying mPentatonic)

View thread

SRVFan2000
SRVFan2000
06/04/2021 3:54 pm

Wow- thanks for that detailed answer Chris. He is actually probably the #1 most popular teacher online. He is a legend on YTube. He has a very simple teaching style that people relate to. I really like him too but I understand what you are saying. Now that you clearly explained the technicality (or lack therof), it makes sense. He is just showing some very beginner ways of noodling around (which he basically says) so I should not overthink it. I do like to play correctly, in context of a key- relative to the other chords. I just couldn't get there with that example. Maybe my take away is that I can occasionally mix things up and try some new musical detours with the changes, but never lose sight of the main scale.

In this case, I would just mostly stick to playing the A minor Penta because it all makes sense and simply works. I do like adding the blues notes and the flattened 5th in some cases- really adds depth. I learned that one from another excellent GT video.

Currently I am also focusing on trying to really learning every note on the fretboard. I just learned the neumonic phrase to remember BEADGCF. It works great to find all those natural notes on the fretboard. From there it's easy to fill in the shaprs and flats. I am also focusing on the root note and can find all 8 of them (root notes in 1 octave e.g., open E to fret 12) by both pattern, and by ear. When I get to that root in the scale, I play it (repeat it) 20 times until it becomes ingrained. It's simple trick, but it works for me. Eventualy, I want to be able to instantly find the note and play it when the chords change. For now, emphasizing the root note abd playing in the right key is good enough. It makes my playing sound more intentional and better. Adding bit size licks and playing dynamically also seems to helps.

I've only been a member of GT for a week and I've learned a lot. I should make some good progress before my year is up. I've been playing for many years casually. I have taken some lessons on and off- and I like theory (mostly!) Having that base really helps put the puzzle together. It's great having someone as knowledgable and skilled as you offering your insights. I also saw some of your videos in here and YTube. You are a very skilled player and teacher.

The only one thing I would hope GT can someday change is the near constant captca verification. I've never seen that before- not even on my banks website. I've also done work in IT for years. Once I am logged in, or did it once, my session is verified until I log out. It takes me a little out of my flow- but I guess they have their reasons.