View post (Surf Tone)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/20/2021 3:36 pm
Originally Posted by: theburp

I did look at his lesson, but might be too advanced for me.[/quote][p]Fair enough, but you got to start somewhere! :)[br][br]

Originally Posted by: theburpMy amp has these controls called intensity and speed, of which I haven't a clue.[/quote][p]That sounds like the vibrato channel. I'd have to know exactly which model to be sure. If it is a vibrato channel, then you can just turn that all to zero for now. Vibrato is a slighty to heavy warbling sound. It's not necessary or essential to surf style guitar. But it can add a nice effect if you like it. Check out this demo.

https://youtu.be/HTD-016tLpg?t=310

[quote=theburp]I try to play near the bridge, but it is difficult.

Yes, it is at first. But that's where the surf tone is! So it will be worth practicing & developing your technique in that area in order to get the sound you want.

It will also help to use the bridge pickup on your Strat.

[quote=theburp]Terms like rool off don't mean much to me either, I am guessing that it means to reduce the bass.

Yes, turn it down a little. Try to start with bass, mids, treble all at 5. Then start to experiment with adjusting them. Turn the bass down a little, try 3. Turn the mids & treble up a little, try 7. Adjust it according to how it sounds when you play it. Experiment!

Turn the reverb up to 5 & listen if that is too much or too little for your tastes & how close you are to getting a surf tone that you like.

For now turn the vibrato speed & intensity off.

Give it a try!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory