Grateful for the structure

RonaldR
Full Access
RonaldR
Full Access
05/10/2021 9:00 pm

I am getting older, and feel old, and worn by the pandemic.

I make my living as an engineer. I love my job, but that left-sided logical part of the brain has become too much, too dominant, present in every minute as we relocate our work into our homes, dissolving the final barriers between work and all those other heartbeats meant to be experienced apart from just working all the time.

Does anyone else notice that an acoustic guitar inspires you to sing? I'm not a singer, but (unlike my piano) you HUG an acoustic, and when you hit a sweet chord, alone late at night, it resonates with your lungs and diaphram and almost pulls a note from your throat. I still can't sing but it's a wonderful feeling.

I'm thankful for the structured approach offered here. Oh and I've been a paid member for a while but just now discovered these forums. Looks like there's a community here too.

Greetings to all, let's all learn some music and brighten our souls. Even if nobody else wants to hear me sing :-)

# 1
LynnS1951
LynnS1951
05/11/2021 2:14 am

Hi Ronald,

The solid structure here was was recommended by a review and I was sold. I never expected to sing in this course, I mean Lisa's original songs – I thought I could only sing songs I'd known for many years. I never knew exactly how strumming chords supports even the least talented singer. I don't know how I could never have understood that the chords do echo the melody. It's amazing to sing with the guitar and very therapeutic. I just took delivery of a new Taylor. Its crisp sound inspires my desire to play with crisp accuracy.

[br]I've been learning piano for a few years and what's happened with the guitar in my month or so here is it's loosened up my musicality. I went to the piano emboldened to try playing chords and singing, old favourites, because I know more on the piano. In a matter of minutes I was improvising from a lyrics & chords sheet so that enough melody was drifting in that singing was redundant. So, win-win. My piano playing just got more fun, but the guitar isn't redundant 'cause that's where I sing!

# 2
RonaldR
Full Access
RonaldR
Full Access
05/12/2021 12:19 pm

Congratulations on the new Taylor, Lynn! May it bring you many hours of joy and exploration.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's so interesting how an instrument feeds back to the player, which then in turn feeds back to the instrument, too. It's like there's a little bit of life-energy captured inside of these inanimate objects, when crafted with care.

# 3
RonaldR
Full Access
RonaldR
Full Access
05/13/2021 5:49 pm

One of my greatest inspirations for acoustic guitar. I never get tired watching Tommy Emmanuel!

https://youtu.be/sV1e-iSo5As

# 4
LynnS1951
LynnS1951
05/13/2021 9:59 pm

wow

# 5
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/17/2021 3:18 pm

Hi all,

SO glad to hear from all of you, and so glad you are finding great results in our commitment to structured learning here at GT.

I LOVED developng the Fundamentals Courses, and writing all those songs - with the hidden (?) intent of leading you along into the skills and concepts of becoming a guitar player with a solid foundation.

That solid foundation opens doors down the line. You have not learned piece-meal, so when something new comes your way, you are able to understand it on a deeper musical level.

Congrats! Have fun! Stay on the path!

All best wishes, Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.