Bending on acoustic?

RonaldR
Full Access
RonaldR
Full Access
05/10/2021 5:59 pm

Hi Mike,

A few weeks ago you were showing how to bend on the G string of an electric. I was wondering, should we expect bends on the (unwound) G to translate to the heavier wound G string on an acoustic? The force required on the acoustic seems heavy.

thanks for your advice!

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/11/2021 1:47 pm

Hi Ron!! You'll find it much more difficult to transfer your bending skills to the acoustic guitar. Generally speaking, the strings are heavier so it is more difficult to execute bends, particularly on that G string. It can be done of course, but it does require more finger strength to make happen.

Once you get good at bending on the electric guitar, your fingers will be more prepared to tackle bending on the acoustic. It takes a little more finger strength and overall work, but you can do it!

Hope this helps!

Mike

Originally Posted by: RonaldR

Hi Mike,

A few weeks ago you were showing how to bend on the G string of an electric. I was wondering, should we expect bends on the (unwound) G to translate to the heavier wound G string on an acoustic? The force required on the acoustic seems heavy.

thanks for your advice!

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
RonaldR
Full Access
RonaldR
Full Access
05/11/2021 4:10 pm

Ah, interestingly this is similar to the advice Lisa gives in her introduction to Barre Chords in GF2. She recommends learning first on the electric, then transferring to acoustic as you develop the techique and strength.

Fortunately I just bought my first electric, so I can do this now! Thanks for the advice

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.