Ode to Billy Joe

dbvirago
dbvirago
04/15/2021 10:13 am

Hi, Mike. I've had this song stuck in my head, so I thought I'd give it a go. But the chords are well beyond my ability at this point. I was thinking about trying it with the open version of the chords. Would that be a waste of time? Haven't dug into the lesson yet, but the open D7, G7, and C7 sound pretty good. The open A7 sounds a bit off to my ear.[br][br]Thoughts?

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/15/2021 2:58 pm

Hey there! This is not a waste of time at all! It should sound very close with the open chord versions.

The A7 sounds off, because that should be an A minor 7 chord. Am7 is the same as A7 except you finger the 1st fret of the 2nd string (B string) instead of the 2nd fret of the 2nd string. That should make a big difference!

See variation 1:

https://www.guitartricks.com/chords/A-chord/min7

Let me know how it goes!

Mike

Originally Posted by: dbvirago

Hi, Mike. I've had this song stuck in my head, so I thought I'd give it a go. But the chords are well beyond my ability at this point. I was thinking about trying it with the open version of the chords. Would that be a waste of time? Haven't dug into the lesson yet, but the open D7, G7, and C7 sound pretty good. The open A7 sounds a bit off to my ear.[br][br]Thoughts?

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.