View post (Guitar Suggestion)

View thread

matonanjin2
matonanjin2
04/06/2021 7:26 pm
Originally Posted by: Carl King

Yeah! I don't mean to deny that some people will swear by their Les Pauls. Clearly it's a personal choice. I'm just making a generalized statement about the ergonomics and quirks about the mechanics of them. I think maybe people either love them or... kinda don't.

There are so many other comfortable guitar builds these days. As I am becoming an old man and various parts of my body are breaking, I have less tolerance for anything that adds a struggle. :)

-Carl.

which is exactly why I sold mine. My first "good" guitar was a Les Paul and it was with a few tears made the decision that I couldn't tolerate playing mine any longer. My back could just not tolerate the weight.

I still wanted the humbucker growl and got that with my PRS Pauls. Without the weight.

@slittle_92, you outlined the type of music you like AND you have a budget in mind. You are further along (more organized) than many that start shopping. You have a self-described "soft spot" for Les Pauls and the Epiphone line is an economical way of pursuing that.

But you also mentioned Hendrix and a couple other Strat players so at some point you are going to potentially want that sound. When shopping for the Epi's look at some that have "coil splitting" to get close to the single-coil (Strat) sound. Many will argue it's not the same and they may be correct.

The opposite route is @JeffS65's suggestion of an HSS Strat. Strat sound, single coils, but with a Humbucker in it. A very versatile guitar.

Or you could just recognize now that down the road you are most likely going to be shopping for more guitars! But shopping is a lot of the fun so just enjoy it. You are soon going to appreciate/comprehend the expression G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome)

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45