Question about string bending

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
04/04/2021 3:00 am

When fretting normally, I believe you are generally taught to have your finger approach the string at something approximating vertical so that you're pressing straight down (unless maybe you're muting adjacent strings with the same finger). When bending, do you still do that and rely on friction between your fingertip and the string to move the string along under your finger, or do you come at the string at a greater angle so that you are actually sort of pushing the string from the side? Thanks.

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
04/04/2021 2:02 pm

I use pressure from the opposing side of the neck to bend strings. So if I am playing on the high B string and I want to bend a note, my thumb moves to the high side of the neck, so as to provide bending leverage to move that B string. At the same time I maintain the downward pressure, holding the string against the fret.

So I guess my answer is that I use both downward and sideways pressure against the fret board when I bend a note. I also double and triple my fingers pushing on the bending string to provide increased force to move it. I use the extra fingers to help push that bending motion. I also use those extra finger tips to mute unwanted string noise. So, it is a complicated process. After years of practice I am still working on this one, but you are on the right track. I would start with getting the bending motion to work for you and add the mutes as you gain bending proficency.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/04/2021 2:30 pm
Originally Posted by: dlwalke

When bending, do you still do that and rely on friction between your fingertip and the string to move the string along under your finger, or do you come at the string at a greater angle so that you are actually sort of pushing the string from the side? Thanks.

Good question. It's both depending on the string you are bending.

You still need the solid contact between your finger tip & the string. But you also need to angle your finger a bit in order to get the motion required to move the string along the fret.

Have look here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=20406

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.