View post (Two guitars and muddy sound.)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/31/2021 11:56 am
Originally Posted by: bouncee

I likely do not need to know all of this so what are the most common voicings and chords I should learn?[/quote][p]That depends on what style of music you want to play. It sounds like you have a good handle on the basics: open chords, barre chords & the inversion D shape, which is really part of a barre C. Next I would start to isolate parts of those into smaller voicings.

Instead of the full barre chord, play these.

|--3-------------|

|--3--3----------|

|--4--4--4-------|

|------5--5------|

|----------5-----|

|-----------------|

Instead of the full C barre, play these.

|--7--------------|

|--8--8-----------|

|--7--7--7-------|

|------9--9------|

|---------10-----|

|-----------------|

Originally Posted by: bouncee1: What other shapes should I learn? I see pro players using "jazzy chords", like the movable 9th chords and 13th chords. But I don't know when to use it. Or if there are other smart shapes I should learn that are more usable?[/quote]

You use those when you desire the sound of them. I have tutorials on extended harmony chords (7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, & variations).

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1166

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1185

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1195

Originally Posted by: bouncee2: And when should I use the inverted chords?

When you desire the sound of them. This is going to require a lot of experimenting & listening. It also helps to listen to & learn the songs of artists you like to discover how to recreate the sounds they made that you like.

[quote=bouncee]Like when I am practicing with the band and we are two guitars. Will inverted chords or different chord vocing help to keep the sound clean and not muddy things up?

It can help to sound more full, or to clearly distinguish the parts from one another. But a lot of this is also going to be the result of volume & tone. And what your partner is playing.

Consider that you are playing some interesting, different voicing of a chord in a different area of the fretboard than your partner. If your tone is too loud or distorted, then it's not going to be heard clearly. If your partner is baning away on a full barre chord, basically taking up all the sonic space, it's not going to matter much what you do.

The point here is that it has to be a team effort. Everyone has to be aware of the overall goal of making sure all the instruments have their own sonic space in which to be heard clearly.

[quote=bouncee]Does anyone have tips on how to get clean sounding barre chords when using "thumb over" ?

Start with a solid sounding F chord shape. Then add your thumb. Or start with just your index finger barring the E & B strings & the thumb on the low E, then try to add your other fingers. Or just use full barre chords.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory