Boston - A Man I'll Never Be

Wonderbugg
Wonderbugg
03/21/2021 1:16 am

I just signed up for 4 1hr lessons with you. I had you before in the group sessions and I was impressed. I'm hoping you can help motivate me to get back into guitar like I was 30 years ago. My goal is to be able to play the thread title song. I know Boston is usually listed as 5 guitars difficulty because Tom Sholz is just that awesome, but hey...its an obtainable goal, right? I also know that Boston uses several tracks of overlapping guitars, so I'm not expecting miracles here...just what he might play if he was live and didn't have the other guitar tracks. I have not yet found a decent 12 string acoustic, but I do have a 6 string acoustic and a kick-a$$ Jackson. Also, I use a Scarlett Solo and Amplitube 5 with a headset when practicing, and I'm hoping you know how to make the sound come through to you on Zoom, or I have to buy a monitor; I do not have an external amp anymore (thank my clumsy son for that one). Lemme know if you have any tips, tricks or ideas for this possible issue.

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/22/2021 1:54 pm

Hey there - sounds great - we will work to get you playing through all the parts in this song with the goal of one continuous performance.

As for the lesson audio through Zoom - it is tricky to route audio from your plugins into Zoom, but it can be done. You have to use a special audio driver for it to work, and it can be a bit complicated getting it set up. If you want to experiment with it, look into getting the BlackHole Audio Driver (I think it's free) - and there are lots of youtube videos on how to configure it into Zoom.

It's probably easier to buy a monitor and route the interface audio into it.

Hope this helps - let me know how it goes!

Mike

Originally Posted by: Wonderbugg

I just signed up for 4 1hr lessons with you. I had you before in the group sessions and I was impressed. I'm hoping you can help motivate me to get back into guitar like I was 30 years ago. My goal is to be able to play the thread title song. I know Boston is usually listed as 5 guitars difficulty because Tom Sholz is just that awesome, but hey...its an obtainable goal, right? I also know that Boston uses several tracks of overlapping guitars, so I'm not expecting miracles here...just what he might play if he was live and didn't have the other guitar tracks. I have not yet found a decent 12 string acoustic, but I do have a 6 string acoustic and a kick-a$$ Jackson. Also, I use a Scarlett Solo and Amplitube 5 with a headset when practicing, and I'm hoping you know how to make the sound come through to you on Zoom, or I have to buy a monitor; I do not have an external amp anymore (thank my clumsy son for that one). Lemme know if you have any tips, tricks or ideas for this possible issue.

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
Wonderbugg
Wonderbugg
03/31/2021 3:39 pm

Bought a pair of Mx8 studio monitors, an EVH guitar and a Gibson Les Paul Studio so hearing my lousy playinjg shouldn't be an issue now. Just to reiterate, my "ultimate' goal is to be able to play through this Boston song, but I think I'm more suited for "Mary had a little lamb' right now. I know a lot of the chords/shapes and some common scales, but have a lot of work to go. I'd consider myself a 1.5-2 guitars level player right now. But I'll let you determine how I should proceed. I've signed up for 4 lessons so far, but I'm sure it will take quite a few more to reach my goal. I also spaced them 2 weeks apart to give me time to work on my 'homework'.

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/31/2021 4:38 pm

Sounds good - we'll dig in on Saturday. See you then!

Mike

Originally Posted by: Wonderbugg

Bought a pair of Mx8 studio monitors, an EVH guitar and a Gibson Les Paul Studio so hearing my lousy playinjg shouldn't be an issue now. Just to reiterate, my "ultimate' goal is to be able to play through this Boston song, but I think I'm more suited for "Mary had a little lamb' right now. I know a lot of the chords/shapes and some common scales, but have a lot of work to go. I'd consider myself a 1.5-2 guitars level player right now. But I'll let you determine how I should proceed. I've signed up for 4 lessons so far, but I'm sure it will take quite a few more to reach my goal. I also spaced them 2 weeks apart to give me time to work on my 'homework'.

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.