View post (Fretting chords Pro vs Beginner)

View thread

Erik Nettekoven
Erik Nettekoven
03/16/2021 11:26 am

Hi,

So I've been practising guitar a little over month now and I am in a bit of a mixed place. Like two voices in my head arguing with each other: Voice A "Look what you have achieved and learned, you didn't know all this 2 months ago!" vs Voice D: "It doesn't look like you are improving, you have been struggling with chord changes over a month already, you can't do this". Sometimes A wins the battle and sometimes D wins the battle, altough I do keep on practicing every day.

Another thing is that this internal battle sends me to the internet and get lost in watching al kinds of youtube videos related to guitar. (10 things you must do, 5 things you must not do, and some more in depth videos etc etc). What I do try to look at in the video's is how the Pro's do it and there is something that boggles my mind. All the Pro's, guitar teachers from either GuitarTricks or the one from JustinGuitar included, don't seem to do what they tell you to do. Something like "Do as I say, don't do as I do" sort of thing.

Take fretting chords for example. All the teachers tell you to put your finger tips on the string in the fret so it is almost in a 90 degree angle, so no other strings are touched to prevent accidental muting or buzzing of the string(s) below. And I have to say I really do need to do that, else the string below will buzz or get muted.

Now if I look at how the pro does it, it almost seems like their fingers are flat on the fretboard (or at least very far from close to 90 degrees angle, they are almost parallel) while playing the chords, perfectly (!). Or to put it in others words, they seem to have bend their fingers way less than I do, to get perfect chords. To add to that, it also seems like they barely touch the strings and still get perfect sounding notes/chords. I've tried that, but then the string will definitely be muted.

Am I seeing things? Am I doing things wrong? Is there a secret the pro's aren't sharing (yet)? Or is there something wrong with my guitar? Is the action height too much/high? I just can't wrap my head around how they do it.