Using a bluetooth transmitter with amp

mattpcollins
Full Access
mattpcollins
Full Access
02/22/2021 6:36 am

Hi you all,

I need some good headphones for electric guitar practice. I've been using these Sony headphones I've had for like 10 years now:

They're fine for listening to music on my phone, but now it's time for something hi-fi.

I've read tons of reviews of guitar practice headphones, and these ones from Audio-Technica keep coming up. The reviews are always good.

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/ath-m50xbt

They make them in wired, and bluetooth wireless. It sure would be nice not to have a cable coming off my head, I'm always sitting on the cable and yanking it. But I would need to run a bluetooth transmitter out of my headphone jack on my amp (an Orange Crush 20).

If I ran a bluetooth transmitter out of the headphone output of my amp, would I most likely get a clean signal? Or would I get interference sounds with the amp, or noticible latency?

I can always get the wired version of these headphones, but wireless sure would be nice. Oh and what is the lifespan of the batteries on bluetooth headphones? You can't pop the batteries out of these headphones to replace them, I already checked on that.

Thanks!

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/22/2021 11:43 am

The BT signal itself will be clean and you won't have any distortion that way. The issue is you will need an interface to pair the transmitter and the receiver on your headphones. I tried looking for something like this myself and always ran up against that problem.

Boss has come out with the Waza-Air headphones but at $600 where I am, I don't really need them that bad.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
mattpcollins
Full Access
mattpcollins
Full Access
02/23/2021 6:01 am
Originally Posted by: William MG

The BT signal itself will be clean and you won't have any distortion that way. The issue is you will need an interface to pair the transmitter and the receiver on your headphones. I tried looking for something like this myself and always ran up against that problem.

Boss has come out with the Waza-Air headphones but at $600 where I am, I don't really need them that bad.

I didn't know about that. I thought all you had to do was pair the headphones with the bluetooth transmitter, and run any audio signal you want through the transmitter.

Thanks for your help. Yeah that Waza system is nice.

# 3
mattpcollins
Full Access
mattpcollins
Full Access
02/27/2021 3:19 am

Ok I found a few guitar forums where my same question was asked (using one of those bluetooth transmitters on the headphone output of an amp). The general consensus was, don't do it! Latency issues.

It makes sense though, first your BT transmitter has to package the analog signal to bluetooth, send it through the air, and your bluetooth headphone has to convert it back to analog. Well that's alot of processing taking place, and when you pluck a guitar string, you have to hear the sound instantly. Any bit of delay could range from annoying to completely unnaceptable.

So I'll be going with wired headphones.

# 4
DanielOrton
DanielOrton
12/01/2022 4:58 pm

Recently i was looking for earbuds for my new phone, and i must say there are tons of options in the market, most of earbuds are low priced but quality is low too, i spent 265 on jabra elite 65t and i am satisfied with them, i would suggest you to follow up this guide https://www.compralobueno.com/electronica/auriculares-inalambricos/ as it contain a lot of information about which things to consider before buying any earbud. i hope my comment will help you.

hola que tal

# 5
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
12/02/2022 2:47 am
#0 Originally Posted by: mattpcollins

Ok I found a few guitar forums where my same question was asked (using one of those bluetooth transmitters on the headphone output of an amp). The general consensus was, don't do it! Latency issues.

It makes sense though, first your BT transmitter has to package the analog signal to bluetooth, send it through the air, and your bluetooth headphone has to convert it back to analog. Well that's alot of processing taking place, and when you pluck a guitar string, you have to hear the sound instantly. Any bit of delay could range from annoying to completely unnaceptable.

Why would the quality be any different than the quality between a wireless transmitter/receiver for a guitar? Those work fine. In fact I'm using a wireless setup with the guitar and there is no latency or distortion and it has to go through the same packing/unpacking you describe.

# 6
a.mi.njab.ari242
a.mi.njab.ari242
12/19/2022 10:42 am

You can use Bluetooth to connect the wireless speakers to the receiver. If your receiver doesn't have the option to connect with Bluetooth, you'll need to buy a Bluetooth transmitter. Connect the receiver to the Bluetooth transmitter, then turn the wireless speakers on.

# 7
ken5064
Full Access
ken5064
Full Access
02/05/2023 9:12 pm
#0 Originally Posted by: mattpcollins

I agree about the latency. I bought a BT transmitter & headphones because I didn't want to be tripping over a cable. Had no issues pairing them but the latency was unacceptable. I'd play a note then about a 1/4 second later I'd hear the note in the phones. I took them back to the store and will use my wired phones.

# 8
shirleymarable97
shirleymarable97
10/19/2023 2:50 am

Regarding the lifespan of the batteries on Bluetooth headphones like the ATH-M50xBT, it's important to note that the batteries are built-in and not replaceable. The exact battery life will depend on factors such as usage, volume levels, and whether noise cancellation is enabled. On average, you can expect the battery to last around 30 hours on a full charge. It's a good idea to recharge the headphones regularly to ensure they are ready for use when needed.

uno online

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.