About the core learning system

Jay Pham
Jay Pham
02/19/2021 3:19 pm

Hi guys, it's been a while since the first time I played the guitar, it was a wonderful experience for me.

I am still a bit confused about the Core learning system. So Mr.Mouridsen is the main instructor in Rock style level 1 and 2, but at the same time, I found a lot of other lessons from other instructors such as Mr.Andy Gurley or Mr.Christopher Schlegel, etc. So, why are these lessons are not included in the Rock style level 1 and 2, and how do I know if I need to learn the lessons of other teachers? And when? (Similar to other genres, not just Rock)

I'm sorry if my question sounds obscure but I think you get the point. And much appreciate your replies guys!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/19/2021 3:45 pm
Originally Posted by: NA.Jay

So, why are these lessons are not included in the Rock style level 1 and 2, and how do I know if I need to learn the lessons of other teachers? And when? (Similar to other genres, not just Rock)

There are 3 primary categories of tutorials on GT.

1. Core Learning System. This is an integrated step by step curriculum of lessons that start at absolute beginner level. The goal with this category is to isolate & streamline the necessary cirriculum all in one step-by-step process.

https://www.guitartricks.com/beginner.php

2. Song Catalog. This is all the songs GT has the secured the rights to teach.

https://www.guitartricks.com/songs.php

3. Instructor Directories. These are for more specialized topics, sometimes organized in sub-categories. You can view the instructors & their specialty here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructors.php

For example, I have over a thousand lesson on various topics, organized by topic or focus. In general, these are for diving deeper into any given concept or technique. They are not necessary per se to the streamlined core learning system, but will help once a student develops more interest in a certain style or technique.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=155014

We encourage all beginners to work through the Fundamentals courses, then the style course of their choice. If your knowledge & skill level is beyond the Fundamentals material, then skip to the styles!

At any level you should look for songs you enjoy, want to play & are close to your skill level.

Many guitar learners are satisfied with the level of knowledge & skill presented in the Core Learning System. And that is enough to get them to the point at which they can play songs they enjoy. But if you want to go deeper into any given topic, that is when & where the instructor directories come into play.

Also important is the forum! If you have a question about a certain topic, or how to do some skill, please ask. The GT database of lessons is enormous. That's one reason the forum is here, to help you find the resources you desire.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Jay Pham
Jay Pham
02/19/2021 3:54 pm

I have 100% understood this issue. Thank you for taking the time to answer. Wishing you good health happiness and success always Mr.Schlegel.

# 3
JOMJ
JOMJ
02/21/2021 5:24 pm

I have still some trouble figuring out how often focusing on songs is optimal. On a lot of guitar websites they say 99% of the time. Then you have guys who say focus on techniques etc mostly, songs will follow.

And if I follow blues 1 and practice 7 days a week, is there an optimal number of days to practice a song?

"You find a lot of people these days who cannot stand to be alone. You could lock me up in solitary for weeks on end, and I'd keep myself amused."

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/21/2021 6:58 pm

I have 100% understood this issue. Thank you for taking the time to answer. Wishing you good health happiness and success always Mr.Schlegel.

You're welcome! Glad my reply helped you understand. Best of success with your guitar learning & playing!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/21/2021 7:29 pm
Originally Posted by: JustOnMyJourney

I have still some trouble figuring out how often focusing on songs is optimal. On a lot of guitar websites they say 99% of the time. Then you have guys who say focus on techniques etc mostly, songs will follow.[/quote]

This is going to vary by individual. There's no way to say "X amount of working on songs & Y amount of technique" & expect that it will work for every guitar learner.

It's going to be a combination of your enjoyment, your goals & desires. And just by jumping in there & doing something you will gain the experience of what works for you to accomplish those goals & desires.

[quote=JustOnMyJourney]And if I follow blues 1 and practice 7 days a week, is there an optimal number of days to practice a song?

Again, your enjoyment, goals & desires. It's also going to depend on how hard the song is. How many of the techniques the song requires that you already know versus how many you will have to learn just to learn the song.

I understand that you want to learn the right way & you might be concerned about impeding your progress by doing something wrong. But as long as you are working on technique, learning songs & enjoying the process, then you are fine. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
JOMJ
JOMJ
02/22/2021 7:28 am

But as long as you are working on technique, learning songs & enjoying the process, then you are fine. :)

I somehow keep forgetting this. I think indeed it has to do with I understand that you want to learn the right way & you might be concerned about impeding your progress by doing something wrong. but it has also to do with: What if I miss a certain technique or concept that will be super important in the future what I am not aware of now. Imagine not learning how to strum, and just picking notes constantly and after years of playing somebody says to me: Hey, you are playing most songs really weird. Have you ever heard of strumming?

I guess that is a less likely problem to walk into since a lot of tecniques are being discussed in Blues 1 and then Blues 2. Or are there techniques in Country and Rock that are not in the Blues path?

There also is of course the Fundamentals 1 and 2, do these series touch on any technique and concept that I will encounter on my journey (i think not since 'hammer ons etc are not really being discussed).?

It also has to do with spending days / weeks on something while not focusing on something else. I will give an example. I am now learning "Santana - The game of love" and already there are some chords I have not met before. So, yesterday evening I spend my evening practicing that chord progression.

Tonight, I want to continue with it.

Let's say, the whole song takes me a whole week (or 2, dare I say) and in that time I don't look at Blues 1, so I am not practicing Barre chords, power chords (because they might not be in the song). Is that a bad thing then?

"You find a lot of people these days who cannot stand to be alone. You could lock me up in solitary for weeks on end, and I'd keep myself amused."

# 7
dean.barnard9113
dean.barnard9113
02/22/2021 11:45 am

Hi JustOnMyJourney

I found what worked for me is as follows:

I break my parctice sesseion into three parts

1. Techniques: Normally spend an hour on techniques that you want to learn, for instance hammer ons and pill offs, speed work with alternate picking and procticing barre chords or whatever chords you are struggling with

2. Learn something new: Normally spend an hour working through whatever style your busy with, like I am currently busy with Rock level 2. So go through the lessons in wathever style you are busy with

3. Learning songs: I spend the last hour working on new songs tor songs that I am busy learning

Identify what your weak points are and work on them in part 1 and track your progress. Set goals for yourself and be specific about your goals, like you want to play a certain song note for note and up to speed etc.

Hope this helps

# 8
summerde.von40
summerde.von40
03/03/2021 5:17 am

Hi guys, it's been a while since the first time I played the guitar, it was a wonderful experience for me.

I am still a bit confused about the Core learning system. So Mr.Mouridsen is the main instructor in Rock style FaceTime PC level 1 and 2, but at the same time, I found a lot of other lessons from other instructors such as Mr.Andy Gurley or Mr.Christopher Schlegel, etc. So, why are these lessons are not included in the Rock style level 1 and 2, and how do I know if I need to learn the lessons of other teachers? And when? (Similar to other genres, not just Rock)

I'm sorry if my question sounds obscure but I think you get the point. And much appreciate your replies guys!

Thats all fine, but if you go back to Home screen and click on the Experienced Course layout it's the exact same thing only GF1 & 2 are in Grey and the others to the right are in Red, but the course contents are the same as in Beginner section. So I guess the question is if you go to the Home screen what is the difference between Beginner and Experienced Lessons Modules?

# 9
dean.barnard9113
dean.barnard9113
03/03/2021 2:01 pm
Originally Posted by: summerde.von40

I am still a bit confused about the Core learning system. So Mr.Mouridsen is the main instructor in Rock style level 1 and 2, but at the same time, I found a lot of other lessons from other instructors such as Mr.Andy Gurley or Mr.Christopher Schlegel, etc. So, why are these lessons are not included in the Rock style level 1 and 2, and how do I know if I need to learn the lessons of other teachers? And when? (Similar to other genres, not just Rock)

Thats all fine, but if you go back to Home screen and click on the Experienced Course layout it's the exact same thing only GF1 & 2 are in Grey and the others to the right are in Red, but the course contents are the same as in Beginner section. So I guess the question is if you go to the Home screen what is the difference between Beginner and Experienced Lessons Modules?

If you look at the bottom of the experienced players tab they have a few additional sections like techniques, artist studies etc..

Hope that helps

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.