Hidden Heroes: Name Underrecognized Guitarists

mjgodin
mjgodin
02/05/2021 3:47 pm
Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourney

Junior Brown. One of a kind. Invented the guit-steel. You've just got to see it. If Junior's style don't make ya smile, there is something wrong with you. Check him outhere. He has gone a step further recently and come out with a pedal guit-steel. [br][br]

Wow excellent performance. Made me smile. Also love the hat.

Moe

# 1
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
02/05/2021 4:25 pm

I'll throw a few names into the hat. [br][br]

Christone "Kingfish" Ingram - reminds me a lot of Robert Cray. [br]...

I saw Roy Buchanan mentioned, but ironically I think he has become very well known, largely because he was relatively unknown for so long.

I had the opportunity to see Kingfish last year on the Keeping The Blues Alive at Sea cruise. I'm not sure I see the semblance to Robert Cray. But he is one monster guitarist and a great entertainer. And my wife and I had the opportunity to chat with him for just a few minutes. Just the nicest, most humble kid.

I'm going to turn it around on you just a little. With his 5 Blues Music awards last year I'm just not sure Kingfish is still unknown. His "Kingfish" album that garnered so many of these awards is just about "must own" for any blues fan.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/05/2021 6:17 pm

One of the advantages of a thread like this is to see new players and even see videos you haven't seen from artists you know. I've been going through the videos or searching the names mentioned. It really does give you some perspective on how many great, unsung guitarists are out there.

# 3
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
02/06/2021 3:26 am
Originally Posted by: matonanjin2

I'll throw a few names into the hat. [br][br]

Christone "Kingfish" Ingram - reminds me a lot of Robert Cray. [br]...

I saw Roy Buchanan mentioned, but ironically I think he has become very well known, largely because he was relatively unknown for so long.

I had the opportunity to see Kingfish last year on the Keeping The Blues Alive at Sea cruise. I'm not sure I see the semblance to Robert Cray. But he is one monster guitarist and a great entertainer. And my wife and I had the opportunity to chat with him for just a few minutes. Just the nicest, most humble kid.

I'm going to turn it around on you just a little. With his 5 Blues Music awards last year I'm just not sure Kingfish is still unknown. His "Kingfish" album that garnered so many of these awards is just about "must own" for any blues fan.

I thought about it after posting, and you're right about Kingfish. It is really exciting to see how many really good young blues players are coming along. So cool that you got to spend a few minutes on a personal level.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 4
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
02/06/2021 3:52 am
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

One of the advantages of a thread like this is to see new players and even see videos you haven't seen from artists you know. I've been going through the videos or searching the names mentioned. It really does give you some perspective on how many great, unsung guitarists are out there.

Another cool thing about checking these different players out is that it shows how incredibly versatile the guitar is. The world is full of amazing players, for sure. [br][br]

Keep throwing them out there gang, this is fun!

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 5
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
02/06/2021 4:01 am
Originally Posted by: mjgodin

Junior Brown. One of a kind. Invented the guit-steel. You've just got to see it. If Junior's style don't make ya smile, there is something wrong with you. Check him outhere. He has gone a step further recently and come out with a pedal guit-steel. [br][br]

Wow excellent performance. Made me smile. Also love the hat.

Moe

Junior has made me smile for years. The hat, the voice, the faces, the sounds he pulls out of that custom guit-steel; the whole deal. That's his wife, Tanya, strumming her heart out on his left.

# 6
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
02/06/2021 4:16 am
Originally Posted by: William MG

Fun topic Jeff.

I just got into this band a few years ago - Big Wreck, and asked myself - why haven't I been listening to these guys all along? To me, one of the greatest little known talents. Before covid my son and I saw them at a small theater here in town.

Ian Thornley is the lead vocalist and guitarist. Lee Anderton interviewed him a few years ago because Rob Chapman told Lee "you have to hear this guy".

Ian is incredibly smooth. When my son and I saw them play they took 1 song and made it a 13 minute jam session. It was wonderful.

Big Wreck

Ian Thornley

Thanks for this one, Bill. I will be listening to them a lot now. It almost feels like I am trivializing them if I come out and say "wow, these guys are amazing, talented, sophisticated, and awesome!" but, umm, they are all of that.

# 7
hammadsu2010
hammadsu2010
02/09/2021 10:30 pm

https://youtu.be/l-jpX6w-vYw

# 8
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
02/09/2021 10:47 pm

Holy Moly. Thanks for the Junior Brown tip! Absolutely brilliant. How about the solo in this clip! Wonder if I can learn that in country fundamentals 1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEhv8OQ7KeM

# 9
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
02/10/2021 3:36 pm

"When you wish upon a star".....

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 10
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
02/10/2021 5:51 pm

I hope I'm not overdoing discussing one artist, stomping on this thread. But, I just came across this about Roy Buchanon. All of it very interesting. But if you watch the part where he discusses how he uses the tone and volume knobs in his playing, it was especially so.

ROY BUCHANAN - Telly Talk [1982] : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE7ke9xUuOQ&t=999s

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.