View post (Hidden Heroes: Name Underrecognized Guitarists)

View thread

DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
02/05/2021 2:44 am

I'll throw a few names into the hat. [br][br]

Christone "Kingfish" Ingram - reminds me a lot of Robert Cray. Here he is doingNPR's Tiny Desk Concert. [br][br]

Larry Campbell is a guy that I think is well known inside the music industry, can play anything with strings, played with Levon Helm a lot, good singer, too. Professional.

Kenny Vaughan is another guy that is under the radar but been around and played in a bunch of bands and has been with Marty Stuart's Fabulous Superlatives band for along time now. One of his instructors was Bill Frissell, who is very well known in jazz circles. I think Frissell definitely belongs on a list of relatively unknown to the masses but hugely important and influential in the jazz world from the late 80s until now.

I saw Roy Buchanan mentioned, but ironically I think he has become very well known, largely because he was relatively unknown for so long.

If you like Texas music, Joe Ely and Ray Wiley Hubbard can play a little bit. Are they under the radar? Hard for me to say, but I know not many people in my own circle of friends and family know them.

Junior Brown. One of a kind. Invented the guit-steel. You've just got to see it. If Junior's style don't make ya smile, there is something wrong with you. Check him outhere. He has gone a step further recently and come out with a pedal guit-steel. [br][br]

Those are a few that I like. YMMV, but that's part of the fun of it.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.