Can`t print song notation.


moosehockey18
Registered User
Joined: 02/02/20
Posts: 168

Hi. I need some help here. I`d like to print out the song notation for Jim Croce`s " I`ve Got a Name " which is one of Lisa`s song lessons but am unable to do so because of copywriting / license issues. Being able to do so would help greatly as I can`t very well scroll through it while I`m trying to play it. What gives ?? Wouldn`t have GT already done that before they published the lesson ? I`m not sure how this works but it`s kind of frustrating trying to learn a new song with out having any printed material in front of you as a reference.

Thanks in advance for any help.


# 1
alffvdh
Full Access
Joined: 10/04/16
Posts: 100

Yep, it's useful having the notation in print in front of you for sure. I have needed it to work through difficult sections on songs I've been learning.

What I have done is ruled up some paper with lines the same as the notation, then photocopied off a bunch, then hand written the notation onto my paper. There it is, I now have a copy to use as I need.

A bit of work for sure, but not too difficult.


# 2
moosehockey18
Registered User
Joined: 02/02/20
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by: alffvdh

Yep, it's useful having the notation in print in front of you for sure. I have needed it to work through difficult sections on songs I've been learning.

What I have done is ruled up some paper with lines the same as the notation, then photocopied off a bunch, then hand written the notation onto my paper. There it is, I now have a copy to use as I need.

A bit of work for sure, but not too difficult.

Thanks. I guess I can just do that. Thought maybe I was missing some kind of trick or shortcut that would save me the time but oh well. Live and learn............


# 3
mjgodin
Full Access
Joined: 11/23/19
Posts: 418

I never understood that either. If GT has the rights to teach the song why can't we print out the notation then? Is that a separate legal hurdle? [br][br]

Anyway what helps me is using the lyric sheet which you should be able to print and then write the chords over the words where it changes. Also try breaking the song down to smaller parts and getting them committed to finger memory. Lisa's good with teaching songs into smaller sections.

This is quite a challenging piece. Good on you for tackling it. I looked at it a while back and decided to put it on hold for a while. Love Jim Croce. Good luck with it. [br][br]

Moe


# 4
moosehockey18
Registered User
Joined: 02/02/20
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by: mjgodin

I never understood that either. If GT has the rights to teach the song why can't we print out the notation then? Is that a separate legal hurdle? [br][br]

Anyway what helps me is using the lyric sheet which you should be able to print and then write the chords over the words where it changes. Also try breaking the song down to smaller parts and getting them committed to finger memory. Lisa's good with teaching songs into smaller sections.

This is quite a challenging piece. Good on you for tackling it. I looked at it a while back and decided to put it on hold for a while. Love Jim Croce. Good luck with it. [br][br]

Moe

Thanks Moe,

I came across a decent tab at another website that has the strumming part capo`d at the second fret that I`ve been working on for awhile. Lisa`s lesson has no capo for that part but has a lot of barre chords up the neck that should be interesting. I`ll work on both and see which one sounds better. As for not being able to print out song sheets, maybe someone out there has an answer for that.


# 5
Tinpan
Full Access
Joined: 03/31/20
Posts: 401

Snipping tool into word. Shhhhhh.....


# 6
jsn.hgl
Registered User
Joined: 04/28/18
Posts: 74

Also share to pdf reader in iOS and then print. Sshhh.


# 7
bbriant
Registered User
Joined: 11/07/17
Posts: 95

you can download free manuscript paper and tabs from the net and print has many as you need.

I find that doing it this way when i come to copy the song i will have more of an understanding of it.

Hope this helps.


# 8
moosehockey18
Registered User
Joined: 02/02/20
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by: bbriant

you can download free manuscript paper and tabs from the net and print has many as you need.

I find that doing it this way when i come to copy the song i will have more of an understanding of it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks ! Appreciate the tip.


# 9
matonanjin2
Registered User
Joined: 08/11/17
Posts: 357
Originally Posted by: mjgodin

I never understood that either. If GT has the rights to teach the song why can't we print out the notation then? Is that a separate legal hurdle?

Moe

[/quote]

I suspect this is exactly what it is. I have worked some songs that one could see the notation on screen but the "Print" button was not available.

[quote=Tinpan]

Snipping tool into word. Shhhhhh.....

@moosehockey18 I don't know what "Snipping" tool is. But what I do is probably similar. there is a song or two that I wanted the printed tabs on my desk or music stand but I couldn't print from the lesson.

I put the tabs on the screen and did a "screen capture". I use Windows; I'm sure there is a similar Apple process.

I then loaded my graphics program; I use IrfanView (I may have used Photoshop on some of these). I then did a paste into the graphics program and then printed it.

Of course you can never get the entire page on one screen so I think a couple times I did a screen capture or the top part of the page; did a screen capture of the bottome part of page and then merged them in the graphics program.

Yeah, one has to decide if it worth that much work and tme. For me it was on a couple songs. (this is probably also of questionable legality).


[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 10
KLZ39
Full Access
Joined: 12/21/19
Posts: 60

I recommend you to get a guitar tab notebook or guitar music paper

You can get one really cheap in Amazon they usually comes with pages with tabs/staff and pages with chord boxes, having your own notes, or transcribe melodies and songs also may help you memorize them faster

...and you can work offline


# 11
anthm
Full Access
Joined: 05/17/20
Posts: 64

My advice would be to learn how to use MuseScore and start making your own notations. My Guitar teacher pressed me to do it, I haven't looked back, it takes time to learn but now I make my own notations for all songs. Guitar Tricks Notations seem great compared to what is out there on youtube, Most youtube song lessons don't even have notations. Building your own notations is the way forward. Get the chords and general idea from youtube and or guitar tricks, listen to the song, and gradually piece together your own notations.

Musescore , free music notaion program.

Its a game changer for me, thanks to My Teacher for guiding me into it. Its changed my world.

Kind Regards

Anthony

EDIT: My point here is, by the time you learn to cheat copywrite you could actually have spent the time in learning a new skill to beat Copywrite. It will be harder work though. ........

EDIT II: If anybody would like to see some of my Notaions please Direct message me or leave your email address.


# 12