View post (how many hours a day do I need to practice?)

View thread

Erik Nettekoven
Erik Nettekoven
02/11/2021 4:41 pm

As I had a similar question, which also got me an answer on this forum, I also searched the internet to see different views on this particular topic. In this search I found these articles to have a very interesting take on guitar practice.

- How Long to Practice Guitar: Science-Based Effective Practice

- Can You Practice Guitar Too Much?

[br]The articles explain in a very detailed and scientific way why more/longer practice isn't necessarily better.

[br]TL;DR:

according the articles

- practice sessions of 20 minutes max tend to have the best results

- and/or practice an hour a day, split up in 20 minute sessions

[br]Just like body building, resting is a very important factor of getting there. Your brain and muscle also need to get time to process everything and "memorize" it and recover. Working out for 8 hours straight, or in this case practice guitar for 8 hours straight, doesn't necessarily result in better result, or rather it doesn't as the body/mind doesn;t get the time it needs to adapt/anchor the new learned skills.

[br]And HOW you practice is also very important:

- some fiddling on your guitar for an hour while watching Netflix, you could say "I practiced for an hour today", but did you really? As you weren't really focused on the guitar practice it doesn't do as much

- 20 minutes of pure focused guitar practice, no distraction at all, works way better than the hour "practice" while watching Netflix.

[br]Just some POV's to consider.

I am currently practice twice a day, 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening and for me feels like I'm making nice progress. And as someone else mentioned: FUN is a leading factor. As I find it very FUN to play and practice I have to force myself to not practice longer, if I want to follow the things outlayed in the above articles.