View post (how many hours a day do I need to practice?)

View thread

JOMJ
JOMJ
01/22/2021 9:25 am
Originally Posted by: Carl King

For the first 3 years I played it wasn't unusual for me to practice 8-12 hours a day, because I was a teenager and had nothing else to do. I was either doing scales, finger exercises, or learning songs out of magazines.

This is exactly why I believe (and might be a false believe) that starting young is actually very beneficial for becoming great. Because of this 8-12 hours a day as a teenager you lay down such a strong foundation. Starting out late(r) in life simply does not give you that possibility to practice that often. So it ends up being 1-2 hours a day after work (and thats a stretch!).

An counter-argument is of course that nowadays because of sites like this somebody can train way more focused and does not lose time having to unlearn stuff or having to learn stuff later in life because somebody never came to it at the younger age.

I aim to play once the kids get to bed. So that's 45 minutes. And when the wife gets back downstairs, I go to the kitchen and play some more. During the day, I pick up the guitar as often as I can justify it (since I am working from home I can't just play all day long and feel good about it lol).

So, I guess I practice around 1-2 hours a day.

"You find a lot of people these days who cannot stand to be alone. You could lock me up in solitary for weeks on end, and I'd keep myself amused."