View post (Clean Tone - What options to thicken up each note)

View thread

Walkways
Walkways
03/25/2021 1:06 pm

Hey there bcraig .. I have just bought a LP style guitar with humbuckers. When I played, the guitar sounded sounded a bit light for this style of guitar. I went to the source (Gibson) on you tube and found a video by the Gibson luthier. He suggested in the video about adjusting or making sure the height of the strings from the humbuckers was correct.

So in the video he gave out the factory height settings and added his own preferred measrements of the height of the strings from the humbuckers. I adjusted the height of the humbuckers on my guitar to the Gibson factory settings and then the luthier's preference. The change in tone wasis amazing. When I first measured the distance from the humbuckers to the strings, they were almost double of the Gibson factory settings. My guitar had a nice tone before, but it now rings out crystal, loud and with double the sustain it had when I first played the guitar.. so just another way to improve the tone.. cheers.

PS. by raising the pickups on my guitar, it has boosted the output of my 10 watt amp volume by about 30-50 %. When using distortion on the amp with a gain of more than the 9 o'clock position, I now need to turn all knobs on the EQ to Zero.

' Walkways'