View post (Clean Tone - What options to thicken up each note)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
01/21/2021 4:54 pm
Originally Posted by: bcraig_69music

Hi all stay safe 😉

I have a guitar questions for Clean Tone [br]I been playing single line one note melodies,riff,licks

But I want to thicken up each note as I use the pick,or finger style to sound a lot fuller or wider sounding as much as possible not so thin sounding as it is now

How would You Guys approach doing this [br]For the desired effect I am after?

Does a certain pedal work

Just donot know help when You can Thanks

Guys

I'm going to go a different direction and it's something you'll hear ad nausea in guitarist interviews; tone starts with your hands.

In theory, you should be able to play through any rig, clean, and have nearly the breadth of sound you are looking for. The point is; with what authority are you playing those notes?

A friend of mine who was a great great drummer and definately not shy of a good solid hit of a drum or cymbal, when he first got in to the studio, things changed. I was there helping 'engineer' the session (though engineer is a stretch..I was helping be an extra hand, really).

For the first song recorded, the first and second take were just anemic. There was no life in these takes. After the second playback, everyone was baffled a bit. Mic ok? Input level (gain) ok? We checked each drum mic setup to be sure it all sounded good.

On the third run through I watched my friend play the take instead of watching junk in the control room. I made the actual engineer (and a friend too) stop the track. I punched to my friend's headphones and I may have said; 'Stop hitting like a (expletive) little girl!'. He was my roomate and we talked like that, but..that was the issue. The next take, he just played the heck out of that track. On playback, it all came alive. He said after playback, about the first time recording, he was afraid of making mistakes.

Remember that an amp is just that; amplifying what you're playing. The speaker only drives what you push through it. Those take my friend first made did not trandlate. Hit hit hard during setup but then changed his playing when the red light went on. It all sounded weak.

To that point; any effects mentioned here are tools to enhance the sound you already drive to the amp.

You can probably see the point here; your playing should reflect a certain amount of authority and will do much to broaden that sound going to your amp. If your hands are in control, the amp is only going to reflect what you're pushing through that. Secondly, if that's all well and good, your amp's EQ settings are next. You have to fiddle with them knobs to bring out the frequencies good to your ear. It's at this point you should have a sense of it sounding pretty good. Those effects you add on are icing. You don't want a pedal to be the band-aid. You want it to be the icing.

My thoughts.