View post (How is your hearing?)

View thread

glanmitchenson
glanmitchenson
02/06/2023 9:03 pm
#9 Originally Posted by: matonanjin

I just got hearing aids about a year ago.  I HATE THEM!  I don't hate the aid they provide, which they do.  But rather the daily routine.  And, probably, the recognition of what they represent: I am now old!

When the results of my test of whether I needed them predictably came back that I did need them I asked the audiologist what caused my hearing loss.  And, of course, the primary factor was age.  I asked her if my loss was possibly, at least in part, due to decades of listening to music at pain levels and she would only commit to "Possibly".  

I found that interesting.  I thought it would have been more contributory.  But then the knowledge is purely academic.  I need hearing aids and will for the rest of my life no matter the cause.

So many young children have hearing aids these days and i think it has something to do with us, adults, the culture of headphones and listening music too loud.  We also forget to check our hearing from time to time, the same like we do with our eyes for example. And not too many people know that it is very easy to do an online hearing test and have the results within couple of minutes.

edited