View post (How is your hearing?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
01/31/2023 8:29 pm

Of course presbycusis is a salient contributory factor with aging, as is the inevitibility of arthritis. The thing is to be aware of are the environmental factors contributing to premature loss and exposure thereto within your control and management insofar as practically avoidable to minimise their impact resultant in potential premature or extreme hearing loss.

Anecdotal further to the ex-roadie's regret in my initial post, in my childhood I knew personally a bloke (father of a playmate) who was an artilleryman at the battles of Tobruk and El Alamein. Aged just 45 give or take at the time I knew him, deaf as a post from the percussion of the guns. No hearing protection in those days. Just the consequence to live his life out with. If you've ever stood on a tarmac without hearing protection and listened to a pair of Rolls-Royce Darts of an F-27 or HS 748 in full fine or worse four as on the venerable Vickers Viscounts, you'll personally have experienced the auditory pain threshold. Do that very often or for lengthy exposure, guaranteeed hearing loss. 

edited