View post (Going beyond the Blues Courses)

View thread

daniel.antunes.lourenco
daniel.antunes.lourenco
12/26/2020 5:17 pm

Hi Team,

I have started using Guitar Tricks recently. I am a self-taught guitar player for a couple of decades. While I can play rock songs that are decently complex I have almost no knowledge of guitar theory and fretboard notes - deficiencies of unstructured self-learning. I can easily play pentatonic all over the neck but miss the intuition, phrases, and knowledge of the key notes that could actually make them useful.

My curiosity has always gravitated towards lead guitar playing and I am particularly attracted by blues-rock (Stevie Ray, Gary Clark, Jimmy Hendrix).

Now the question - I am struggling to understand an effective way to use Guitar Tricks to go to develop the ability to play blues-style lead guitar. The Blues Style courses seem to be very focused on the playing technique and a small number of licks. Not much theory or exercises to glue it all together.

What mix would you recommend? I feel a bit stuck in the Blues Course alone. On top of that I could explore Theory (eg. Chords?, Arpeggios?, Scales? Fretboard?), Exercises, Learning licks, Learning particular songs, Studying particular guitar players (I saw some good stuff on Stevie Ray and Jimmy Hendrix on the site).

Naturally learning songs is always the thing I get the most fun.

A bit of an open question but I am curious to see if others felt the same and have any good examples of how the material can be used effectively or any other creative ideas.

Happy holidays!

Daniel