Old guys with old guitars.

mjgodin
mjgodin
12/12/2020 4:14 pm

Just stumbled upon the song Hot Rod Lincoln via a video on Bill Kirchen on the StewMac channel and was very pleased to see Guitar Tricks had the lesson. I'm no where near playing this one at speed. Took me a while just to get the intro notes memorized and it will be on my works in progress for quite some time, but it's a fun lick to play.

Anyway, Tom if your still around, I just wanted to commend you for a great job playing and teaching it and I also noticed that you had your Telecaster switches reversed. Did it come that way or did you modify it as a nod to Bill Kirchen? I was hoping to hear some more horn sounds.

For those not sure what I'm reffering to, I'm guessing this is what it was like before pedalboards. If for no other reason just enjoy watching two titans talking guitars. This is priceless.

Moe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Rfv0dQttM&t=71shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Rfv0dQttM&t=71s

# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
12/12/2020 8:03 pm

@Moe

Whilst Rockabilly 'ain't my thang' such that I'd find it dificult to muster sufficient interest to fuel motivation to persist with the [u]considerable challenges[/u] in playing "Hot Rod Lincoln", I like Tom Finch's lessons too Moe.

I don't think he's currently doing song lessons for GT any more, but those of his I've done I really liked and very much enjoyed his teaching style. i.e. "Ventura Highway", "Sister Golden Hair", the rhythm parts of which Iearnt, but will have to return to revisit as the melody (VH) and slide (SGH) lines were beyond my skill level then. In particular I loved his lesson "Cocaine" which wasn't. He teaches a couple of lesser known Led Zepp ('as made famous by' cover) tunes too.[br][br]Likely on my annual list for 2022 but more llikely 2023, I plan on tackling his lesson on this. I currently place it in a similar tough ask category as "Every Breath You Take" (lesson playthrough) is for my handspan. Oh boy! We'll see what difference a couple more years makes to that perspective.

Also thanks for that You Tube link too Moe. Tele love! Oh yeah! I'd come across that vid before long ago, but forgotten about it. Re-enjoyed BK's anecdotal sharing of expertise.

Manson juggled the switch placement on his 2017 Classic TC design and replaced the blade switch with a more positive, smoother and higher quality toggle. I prefer it to the standard arrangement on my conventional Tele.

Speaking of Tele tones, have you seen this?

And if you are still around and reading this Tom F, thanks in appreciation. Know that your lessons are valued.

Cheers mates!

manXcat

# 2
mjgodin
mjgodin
12/12/2020 8:53 pm

I agree Manxcat, I too, got a lot of projects down the road as my skills develop. This is one of them, but I just love watching the oldtimers play. I knew it was an older video and figured some have seen it before, but I had to share it.

That Bladeswitch looks like a good mod in the future as well. Of course Helen could probably make a cigar box guitar sound great. Thanks for sharing the video.

I wasn't sure if Tom was still around as there wasn't much activity in his thread recently, but seeing as he did the lesson I addressed it to him if and when he jumps back in. He's a great instructor and player. Check out his lesson on " Foggy Mountain Breakdown. " At 300bpm enough said about that. Yikes.

And Tom, hopefully we'll see you back as you've got many fans on here who admire your playing/teaching skills, but I still want to hear you play some train horns out of that Tele. lol.

Moe

# 3
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/13/2020 7:50 am

Hi guys, thanks for the kuddos :)

It has been a couple of years since I've done anything for Guitar Tricks but Carl and I were just talking about having me come down to LA for some more song shoots when the pandemic eases up a bit and airtravel is less sketchy.

I have enjoyed all of the lessons that I've done for GT and am quite happy that they are still being appreciated. I look forward to doing more in the future. Until then...

Keep playing, Tom~ :)

# 4
StratmanKeith
StratmanKeith
12/31/2020 8:39 pm

Hey Tom, I really enjoy your lessons too, working on the Boxtops The Letter lesson right now.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.