View post (Jeff McErlain's Practice Schedule)

View thread

matonanjin2
matonanjin2
12/11/2020 4:24 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

So, again, Jeff gives some great tips here and if you don't know Jeff, he offers courses - mainly on the blues - through TrueFire. Another service I subscribe to.

Thanks for the link, William. I watched that video and it is every bit as helpful, although brutally honest, as you describe it.

If anything positive can be said about this pandemic, and there isn't much that can be, many gifted musicians, that are also instructors, are offering up free lessons on YouTube. Most are titling them "lockdown" or such. As you know Jeff calls his "Brooklyn Lockdown". And many have gone to a weekly schedule so that people can plan. I think Jeff's is Wednesdays at 3 Central. And all any of them ask is a "like" (or "thumbs up") and a voluntary contribution through Venmo or one of those services.

Many also offer downloadable sheet music or tabs, Guitar Pro files and backing tracks.

Jeff recently had a series, 3 consecutive weeks, that he called "Pentatonic Deep Dive"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfeanYqZnWA&t=2268s

I downloaded these and am studying them.

Another musician that I really like is Kirk Fletcher. My wife and I got to meet him on the Keeping the Blues Alive cruise and he is also a really nice guy. What makes his YT videos interesting are a couple things. 1) They are always relatively short, 10-15 minutes or so, so there isn't the significant time investment. Maybe not as important as normally these days of lockdown. 2) They often are not about licks or technique but more nebulous subjects. One of his I really enjoyed was his about finding players that one really appreciates and then study that player. He stressed how he still does this and then listed a long catalog of his influences, most I had never heard of. Also recently he discussed his decision to play only one guitar for a full month, his PRS McCarty 594 Semi-hollowbody. He explained the importance of why he did that and why that guitar.

Another guy that I watch that has weekly sessions is Corey Congilio.

This got way longer than I had planned but there is a lot of these on YouTube free to complement our Guitar Tricks study. Thanks for pointing it out.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45