View post (Jeff McErlain's Practice Schedule)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/11/2020 11:11 am

How practice, what to practice... is a very common question on the forum. Jeff McErlain recently posted a video discussing his practice schedule. Jeff has a lot of good tips here, I especially like his comment at 20:14: "when we haven't put in the work, which is the main thing".

This is another issue I see on the forum with newbies. The work. So instead of concentrating on practice, time is spent on wondering if we have the right guitar. And I speak from 1st hand experience.

When I bought my 1st guitar at 17 I convinced myself that there was something wrong with my guitar and that is why I wasn't making headway. Well, I still have that guitar, and 1 day a local player by the name of Brent Mason walked into my office, picked up that old guitar (which I still find hard to play btw) and just started jamming. I made a post about this back then. I said "Brent, how can you play that thing so easily?" His reply was the response a good player would give and a reminder to me, the work the work the work: "time in man, just time in".

So, again, Jeff gives some great tips here and if you don't know Jeff, he offers courses - mainly on the blues - through TrueFire. Another service I subscribe to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrb_PtzzW2M&t=1123s

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!