View post (Newest song)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
12/26/2020 11:25 pm
Originally Posted by: snojonesSo where is the account I am going to start? Do I loose my copyrights by posting there?[/quote]

I filled your bowl sno, and gave you the spoon. I'm afraid you're going to have figure out how to place it in your mouth yourself. It's just not that difficult, truly, even for a techno "luddite". = ]

Not sure I'd be that worried about someone profiting their first million from plagiarising your first upload sno.

Short answer. No.

As for copyright law, it's complex, messy, expensive and particular to jurisdiction.

That said, it's my general understanding that if a party publishes a work disseminating it publically, (e.g. upload to SoundCloud) and can prove A. ownership, B. the date it was published preceding first publication by said other party, and the C. alleged infringement holding true, then any party who misappropriates that work is liable to tort by the plaintiff for breach of copyright.

That said, it's all rather hypothetical for amateurs our age. In the real world, as a self-sponsored individual plaintiff vs wealthy corporate lawyered up defendent, "good luck". It'd have to be fiscally worthwhile like e.g. Chuck vs The Beach Boys over “Surfin’ USA".

Other than not publish at all and after the fact legal redress, there's not really any pragmatic way to prevent plagiarising and repackaging of any work on an individual basis any more than anything else published in any media.

[quote=faith83]You can also upload to Dropbox -- also a free account and easy to set up (and unlike Soundcloud, useful for other things as well

No offence to sno, but if he's having problems with something a simple as registering an account with SoundCloud, [u]configuring[/u] Dropbox [u]properties[/u] would be akin to nuclear physics.

[br]All the best sno. Publish and be damned! = ]