View post (Fretboard Memorizing?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/02/2021 7:21 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcatThe 'game' would have to have set number of 20 question and answer patterns which present in a set order rather than randomly generated and those patterns repeat in a cycle.[/quote]

Good observation. And I'm pretty sure practicing guitar would be a better investment of time.

Originally Posted by: manXcatVisually interpret the presented info, process, response, a large part of which is total familarity and comfort with the tool. I reckon 3 seconds per answer for a time of circa 60s for 100% accuracy is honest. Whether getting down to around 2~2½ seconds per answer for 40+ sec is attainable for me we'll see.

Good reasoning. I certainly wasn't trying to "Go fast!" :) I was just trying to get the right answers. Maybe if I practiced playing the game I could get faster, but that's diminishing returns. After all, once you know the notes, it's time to play music on the guitar instead of the internet game.

[quote=manXcat]For now, I think that with demonstrated reflex responses and mental agilty like that those high scorers should probably reconsider a career as a fast military jet pilot rather than guitarist. = P

Haha! Yes, or maybe a code breaker. :)

On more observation. In many situations, the player decides the notes that will be played by thinking about which notes or chords they choose, or by deciding on a musical event, pattern, or whole song.

Once you initiate that choice, you set in motion the chain of events that are to occur: some specific series of musical events (notes, scales, chords, progressions, song forms) that require a great deal of automated physical motions ("muscle memory").

In this game there is no musical event or pattern.

There is a parallel to reading sheet music that occurs here. You look at the music to prompt you, like you look at the game interface. And then you have to react.

But even then, when you are sight reading you don't react in one note blocks in which the next random note is hidden from view! You can & must look ahead & see how one note leads to the next, to form an integrated pattern of musical events.

I think the fretboard trainer can be helpful to beginners. But it's ultimately of limited value. Once you know the notes, use them to play music!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory