View post (Strange discovery re: chord progressions)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/09/2020 6:29 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65Essentially, can the same note read differently in tone or melodically based the context.[/quote]

Okay, you are referring to individual notes within a chord?

Originally Posted by: JeffS65Better put, no note in the 'devil's triad' sounds 'evil' on their own but within the triad, they sound ominous.

Right, different intervals between the notes result in different sounds.

[quote=JeffS65]In a way, I kinda answered myself. I didn't know if there was some theory behind why the same note in different contexts reads differently.

From a musical perspective this is simply being aware that different intervals (vertically or horizontally) create different sounds & as musicians we develop aural skills (ear training) in order to be familar with them to identify & use them.

There is also a specialized field of study called psychoacoustics (combining psychology with the acoustics of physics) that studies sound perception. Applied to music, much of it is very personal in nature because it depends on people being able to identify certain intervals & then use qualitative desscriptions that vary by individual taste, preference & familarity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustics

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory