View post (Switching to Am from G)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
11/22/2020 10:07 pm

1. [u]Check posture[/u] aka guitar 'body English'. Watch the how to position (body) and hold (neck) videos again. Won't do anything useful to help though if the guitar is a poor,...

2. [u]Fit[/u]. Is the guitar you're using a good fit with your physique? Bicycles and shoes come in sizes for a reason. Guitars too today thankfully. Edit: Just looked up your intro post. Says all. Dreadnought ugh! Not a fan. No wonder it sat in the corner for 5 years!

So do yourself a huge favour and buy yourself a Concert or Parlor body guitar if an acoustic is your thing. It doesn't have to be expensive to achieve decent tone or be fit for purpose. It will make all the difference. Concert if you're average to small build, Parlor if petite. [u]On a tight budget[/u] I recommend this, available in a full or cutaway body or e-acoustic as preferred, or this available only in that finish and option at that price point. Edit: Still affordable & value, Luce Series Parlor prices start here. Yamaha also make very decent relatively inexpensive instruments too, but not in a comparable priced Parlor or Concert size. I've played that linked to Concert and it's a pleasant instrument to hold, fret and play. Alternatives abound [u]at a price[/u]. But you know that already.

My sincere advice is don't try to put it off in the mindset of 'if I stick with it I'll upgrade' to persevere with what you have. It's self defeating. Motivation will evaporate fast. Guitar is difficult enough to learn as it is, let alone trying to with the an ill-fitting (wrong) tool.

3. Learning guitar is [u]a marathon not a sprint[/u], and it's not easy or everyone would be a guitarist. Both take training to participate in let alone be competitive. Guitar's no different once the initial novelty and excitement fueling enthusiasim fades. Keep that salient in mind and [u]learn to love and find joy in the small steps of getting better every day you play[/u].

Oh, and did I mention ditch the Dread! = ]

All the best.