View post (Guitar Center files Bankruptcy.)

View thread

matonanjin2
matonanjin2
11/28/2020 6:40 pm
Originally Posted by: faith83

Thanks!

And yeah, including the "dude" thing mentioned above. As a woman, I always feel a little "stared at" in guitar stores. It's still a boy's club... I wish someone would figure out that they could market to guitars women in a less testosterone-infused atmosphere and do very well...

Faith, I can't relate to the "construction site wolf whistle" mentality, of course. But whether it is that or my "dude thing" it reflects a total lack of respect and maturity in their sales force. The level of this is offensive. [br][br]

Years ago I had purchased a Fender Blues, Jr. 3 amp there. The reverb went out on it so I took it back theresome time later to see if they had ideas/could help me. Doing this (due to my health issues) is no minor undertaking. My wonderful wife carried it to the car for me. We got there and she parked at the car at the curb in front of the store. I thought I could get it from the car inside. Struggling, I did manage to do so. Obviously struggling, I am met by a kid with an annoying smirk who was clearly enjoying said struggling, "We don't work on amps."

Me, "I know that but a couple years ago, I brought it in for the same thing, the Reverb was out, and someone helped me."

Kid, maintaining annoying smirk, "We don't work on amps".

Me, "I said I know that. But a nice guy named Erin fixed it for me. Is he here?"

Kid, "Erin no longer works here. We don't work on amps."

Fortunately, we are a society of laws. And, also fortunately, I considered the consequences of the different ways I was considering removing his smirk.

Not very long after that I decided I was going to purchase my first PRS. My wife and I were having lunch and I announced this. But the locally owned store in town is not a dealer. A while later she shows me her phone displaying the local GC inventory of PRS guitars. If you could appreciate what a technological feat this was for my wife you would be suitably impressed! Even though, after the reverb/amp incident, I said I would never return to Guitar Center, we finished lunch and off to the local Guitar Center. But not before my wife announces that it's our anniversary so if I find something I like it would be her gift. I pay the lunch tab in a hurry!

We get to GC, walk in, and a kid is walking by. Me:, "Can you tell me where the PRS guitars are?". Kid, without slowing his step the least amount, "Yeah. They're on that wall", pointing in the general direction of North, and he then disappears.

I wait and wait and finally another GC employee shows up and I ask him the same question. His response, "Let me get someone to help you". That someone never showed. At this point I seriously considered standing on an amp and shouting, "If someone will help me you will get the sales credit for an expensive guitar!". I didn't.

Instead, we took the time to drive from Omaha to Council Bluffs, to the only PRS dealer in the metro area and I bought my first PRS.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45