View post (How to notate this chord?)

View thread

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
11/22/2020 2:51 pm
Originally Posted by: faith83

I'm primarily a songwriter and always have been, so that's always my relationship to music and to guitar. And yes, I'm hoping to post some new stuff when it's ready! Thank you for being interested.

Great! I'll be looking forward to that. Songwriting is such an incredible skill and gift, if you have it. You have to be a composer, a poet, meld the two, and if you're writing for yourself, a vocalist and instrumentalist to boot. It's incredible anyone ever succeeds at it. I enjoyed reading a couple of books earlier this year by Paul Zollo, "Songwriters on Song Writing" volumes I and II, which are collections of interviews with scores of famous songwriters (mostly people who became famous from the late 60s through 80's and mostly rock and folk rock but not exclusively - so for example, Paul Simon, Burt Bacharach, Neil Young, Janis Ian, Frank Zappa, etc, etc) on their craft. Given your interest, perhaps you've read them as well but if not you might want to put them on your list.

If you don't mind, I have a quick follow-up re: the Amaj7 chord you were asking about. You said that that particular fingering sounded non-traditional to you. I'm curious what finger pattern you're comparing it with (what does sound traditional?).

Thanks,

Dave