View thread

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
11/20/2020 10:01 pm
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

Hey dlwalke,

Thank you for sharing your results. This is incredible! This kind of project would have taken you some serious time and devotion. We really appreciate your hard work. So with this information, we can suss out what the most common intervals used in rock. Are you adjusting you ear training exercises based on this information? Practicing M2nds more than before? It's clear that you weren't listening to any jazz, becasue the frequency falls off pretty hard after m3rds lol!

Nice work!

Haha. Yes, you are correct that jazz was not well represented in the playlist I collected these data from. I think I did have La Mer (Beyond the Sea) and maybe one or two others that are, I don't know, light jazz...kind-of. But more like rock-adjacent type stuff - everything from theme to the Banana Splits TV show to "Shake Your Money Maker" to "Don't Fear the Reaper" and "Planet Claire." I spent about a week on this, mostly less than an hour a day. It would have helped if I had an app or method that allowed me to select or record a certain part of a song and then play it back slowly while preserving the sound. Maybe I could have recorded a section and then uploaded it to YouTube and then playing it back at quarter speed or something as you can do that without messing up the frequencies, but that seems a bit involved.

I started to do some ear training a while back but it gave way to other guitar related activities. I want to get back to it though and based on these results hope to start off with ascending and descending m2, M2, m3 intervals uding the "Earpeggio" app which lets you select which intervals you want to get quizzed on (it also has customizable sections for chord identification and scale identification also).