View post (How to find basic songs without anything "strange")

View thread

jimk8882
jimk8882
11/12/2020 6:21 pm

I too have had to deal with this as I progress through the beginner fundamental courses. After all, I didn't want to deal with barre chords until I have started those lessons. What I have done is use the sort and filter feature in the songs page and set the difficulty filter to "absolute beginner". Almost all of these songs use only the basic chords. A couple of them, however, do use a capo. You can also set the difficulty filter to "beginner" which will include some songs that only use basic chords. In both cases, I have found it useful to watch the welcome video (the first video in each song) as the instructor will usually indicate what skills are needed if more than the basic. In a few cases, I will also watch the performance video as it will show the instructor playing throughout the whole song.

Not perfect but this process allows me to select songs that are appropriate for me at this point in my journey. I guess in some ways it also motivates me to moving forward so I can eventually play other songs that I want to play.

Jim