View post (Struggling w/ alternative chord voicing w/o buzz)

View thread

bouncee
bouncee
10/24/2020 1:22 am

Trying to learn alternative chord vocing. And I find this so challenging. I can't remember that I struggled so hard learning my chords or barre chords. This time it almost feels my fingers are too short, and my fingers too stiff. I know, it is just my feelings. And plenty great guitar players with small fingers. But what can I do to get more progress and become better?

Any time I need to use my thumb over the sixth string placing that thumb creates unwanted string noises elsewhere.

Other chords like any G shaped chords as in CAGED is impossible due to the fret gap for the pointer finger, and I get discuraged and stop CAGED practice.

I've tried to play around with various angels, twisting my hand but still no victory. I do finger stretching excersice every morning and evening and after each time I play.

It has gotten to the point where I feel I should just stop this madness and accept this failure and look for alternatives. I'm thinking maybe I could just play the top three strings or possible strings 1 to 4 for alternative chord voicing and be done with it? And use fifth or sixth string barre chords if I need a full chord.

But that also means I will loose the cool "jazzy" chords, the six, nine and thirteen. Maybe others that have struggled with the same thing has some clever tips or tricks to get any chord sounding clean? As it is I don't even bother to practice quick shifts of coplicated chords because of the horrible sound I always get.