chord charts. triads and dyads

ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
10/14/2020 8:59 am

I know GT has a very useful chord chart in the Toolbox section and I can recognise when some notes are taken away from the shape shown they would leave a chord triad in place

I think power chords cover dyads and triads on strings 4,5, and 6 but are there any reference points for making a triad or dyads on the higher strings and then strings 2-4 and 3-5

Dave and Mike and probably others cover triads in some of the extra tutorials but can only show you a couple in the time allowed while explaining the inversions.

Is it something you have to try for ourselves using the various open chord shapes and breaking down the chord they play as we move around the fret.

Are there too many permutations with inversions included to map this down anywhere

Dave

# 1
Herman10
Herman10
10/14/2020 11:10 am

power chords are derived from bar chords, the 4,5,6 you are talking about comes from the E style bar chord so 6th string 3rd fret and 5th and 4th string fifth fret would be a G powerchord.

The same you can do with the A style bar chord so 5th string 3rd fret and 4th and 3rd string fifth fret would be a C powerchord.

The same apllies with a little bit of different fingering for the D style bar chord so 4th string 2nd fret, 3rd string fifth fret and here is the difference; 2nd string [u]6th fret [/u]would be an E powerchord due to the differnt tuning of the G string.

Hope this helps

Herman

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/14/2020 11:27 am
Originally Posted by: ddiddlerbut are there any reference points for making a triad or dyads on the higher strings and then strings 2-4 and 3-5[/quote]

This collection of tutorials covers that topic.'

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/triads-and-inversions

[quote=ddiddler]Is it something you have to try for ourselves using the various open chord shapes and breaking down the chord they play as we move around the fret.

Yes, even after working through those tutorials with all the examples, play alongs & fretboard diagrams you will need to spend a lot of time getting used to the shapes.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
10/14/2020 12:46 pm

Thanks for the replies

I will watch that tutorial Christopher. [br]I did feel that would be the answer considering how 1,3,5 and the inversions of all the chords available would be well spread around the fretboard.

All part of the learning and familiarisation

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/16/2020 1:42 am

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by: ddiddler

I did feel that would be the answer considering how 1,3,5 and the inversions of all the chords available would be well spread around the fretboard.

All part of the learning and familiarisation

Yes, you've got the right idea. Keep practicing!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.