View post (Recording Dilemma)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
12/28/2002 7:41 pm
Another fix when recording guitar which may have alot of signal noise, especially when sending the guitar straight into the console or any effects is a Direct Box. I think the POD has a build in direct box, and most newer effect consoles do since some are preamps also. Since guitar is a high-impedence instrument, and pretty much everything else used for guitar is low-impedence. A direct Box is a invalueable too to better improve signal-to-noise ratio. Especially with any effects like stomp boxes, rackmounts, cause it greatly improves the effect send because the input guitar sound is much clearer and stronger before it goes through anything else. Here's a diagram.

Guitar-->Direct Box-->Effects-->Amp or Console.

If you have a mixer.

Guitar-->Direct Box-->Mixer-->Effects-->Recorder

Remember it's better not to add any effects (except distortion and compression) until mixdown.

Also when listening to what you have on the mix, use Monitors or run it through your stereo speakers. Never Go By What You Hear In Headphones. The frequency range, where the frequency boosts are, and stereo panning is completely inaccurate. You will find later that your recording either has too much bass, too much highs, or just plan old weak if you mix with headphones.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.